Re: “Legitimizing the ridiculous” (Oct. 18): I’d like to address the necessity of “Relationships: Untitled”: sexual violence is an unfortunate reality that is relevant in any college environment. The movie wasn’t meant to incite man-hating, but instead generate conversation — and not necessarily agreement — on the subject of sexual relations at Yale. It made students think about the impact of their actions and forced men to confront realities (fair or not) about how they’re portrayed in the legal system. It opened up discussion between genders.

Additionally, I disagree that DKE’s message was not “a direct call for sexual violence.” While maybe not serious in intent, deliberately forcing pledges to enthusiastically chant scenes of sexual violence directly at the Yale community was completely contrived. This was not a spontaneous act but a planned initiation which tested men’s worthiness of acceptance into the fraternity. Because of it, all of the female community’s self-respect was made the brunt of a “joke” which many complain has been taken “too seriously.” But if there is pressure for women to be silenced when they’re being publicly degraded, how telling is that of the Yale community? Will women ever be able to stand up for themselves without being stereotyped as hypersensitive? How can we ever improve if we’re not willing to confront blatant injustice? It is precisely these kinds of differences in understanding that make “Relationships: Untitled” so essential for all incoming students.

Raquel Guarino

Oct. 20

The writer is a sophomore in Jonathan Edwards College.