A bomb scare on the New Haven Green caused New Haven police to close off surrounding streets Saturday night, including Chapel St. between Temple and Church. A suspicious bag was found on a park bench around 11 p.m., according to an officer on the scene.

No means no. During Fence Club initiation Saturday night, taps yelled “No means no, we respect women!” Still no word on how the Fence feels about Al Qaeda.

Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73 is getting some extra help in his campaign for the Senate straight from the White House. First Lady Michelle Obama will campaign and raise money in Connecticut for Blumenthal today.

The Elevate raid is now the stuff of musical inspiration. University of Pennsylvania alum Campbell Davis, 22, composed a two minute long ditty titled “New Haven Police” within hours of reading about the incident, according to the New Haven Register. The lyrics begin and close with the refrain “New Haven police on a club raid/Five arrested, one is Tased.”

James E. Fuchs ’50 died in Manhattan at 82, the New York Times reported Sunday. Fuchs, a fullback for the football team while at Yale, is credited for innovating a method of throwing shot-put despite a debilitating leg injury. This technique lead to Track and Field News naming him the No. 1 shotputter in the world in 1949 and 1950.

Princeton’s endowment reported a return of 14.7 percent during the fiscal year ending June 30, 2010. Princeton’s endowment performance tops those of Yale, Dartmouth, Harvard and the University of Pennsylvania.

Linda’s here to stay. Though Saybrook students were told two weeks ago she was supposed to transfer to the Hall of Graduate Studies, Saybrook College dining hall attendant Linda will be staying in the college.

Three local residents slammed Yalies for their complaints about the raid on Morse-Stiles screw two weekends ago at Elevate lounge in letters to the editor published in the Register’s Sunday editorial page. One letter by Patricia M. Nere of Guilford dismissed the events at Elevate as commonplace happenings, and criticized Yale students for thinking they were “untouchable.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1946 The University marks a return to peace-time studies with the unveiling of the largest painting ever undertaken in the field of natural history at the Peabody Museum.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS