The Yale gymnastics team finished fourth behind Cornell, Brown and Penn at the Ivy League Classic in Providence, R.I., over the weekend. The Elis scored a 187.500, while Cornell finished first with a 192.550 to defend its 2009 title.

Although the disappointed Bulldog team finished at the bottom of the pack, captain Brigitte Kivisto ’10 found individual success, becoming the 13th Bulldog in program history to win the all-around at the event.

“We were expecting it to be a tight competition,” Kivisto said. “Even though we beat both Cornell and Penn previously this season, all four teams in the competition have posted high team scores over the past few weeks.”

Beginning on the balance beam, the Bulldogs had to overcome a setback right off the bat with an injury to Monica Shoji ’12. Due to Shoji’s absence, all five of Yale’s beam scores counted, instead of the top five scores of the six who usually compete. Under this additional pressure, Tara Feld ’13 led the way for the Bulldogs with her seventh-place beam finish and a score of 9.625. Following Feld was Kivisto, who scored a 9.500, and Sherry Yang ’11, who produced a season-best 9.325.

Three Bulldogs posted scores of 9.500 or above on the floor exercise. Kivisto had a career-best performance, posting a first-place score of 9.875. Feld placed ninth with a 9.625, while Stephanie Goldstein ’13 finished with a 9.500 on the floor.

After falling during her routine, Talis Trevino ’12 had an uphill battle and finished with a score of 8.900.

“I knew I really had to fight back after my fall on floor,” Trevino said. “For the future, we’re definitely going to need to eliminate the falls and just work on polishing our routines.”

Feld also scored above 9.500 on the vault, where she finished third with a 9.700. Kivisto finished sixth with a 9.575 as fellow senior Allison Mak ’10 finished 12th with a 9.475. In addition, Yang landed a season-best 9.200 and Trevino posted a career-high 9.150 despite competing with strep throat and falling on an attempt.

Lindsay Andsanger ’13, just shy of finishing in the top three, finished in fourth place on the uneven parallel bars with a score of 9.625. Kivisto came through again for the Bulldogs to finish right behind Andsanger with a 9.600.

Although the meet was plagued with injuries, sickness and some unexpected falls for the Bulldogs, Kivisto provided something to cheer about, finishing first in the all-around with a score of 38.550 to join elite company.

“It feels good to be able to keep Kat Fong ’05, Anne McPherson ’06 and Alina Liao’s ’09 legacy of first place [all-around] finishes at Iviess in Yale hands,” Kivisto said.

But Kivisto also stressed the importance of team success.

“I hope that the learning experience that comes from this is that success can only happen when there is team success and each gymnast is accountable for her routines,” she said.

Looking forward, Yang said the team will work to compete in pressure situations at the same level it practices.

The Bulldogs will travel to Springfield, Mass., on Sunday to take on host Springfield and Rhode Island College at 1 p.m.