THE NEWS

• A group of six undergraduates spent last Saturday afternoon trudging through the woods of central Connecticut in order to find a helium balloon that they had released from Sloane Physics Lab hours before. The balloon was carrying a digital camera that had had traveled almost 20 miles into the atmosphere and captured images from space. Read more about the students’ zany adventure in tomorrow’s News.
  • The 8.8-magnitude earthquake that hit Chile last Saturday morning is estimated to have killed at least 700 people and displaced two million. Reporter Nikita Lalwani talks to Yalies currently studying abroad in Chile to find out more about the aftermath of the natural disaster.
  • Tuvalu is a tiny Polynesian island nation halfway between Australia and Hawaii. In terms of both population and land size, it’s one of the smallest countries in the world. And a group of Yale Law School students is fighting to save the island from total extinction.
  • THE WEATHER

High of 43 degrees, low of 29 degrees, chance of rain and snow.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

• Residential college dining hall menus unavailable Sunday night.

In Commons

• Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs With Zucchini, Home Fries, Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake, Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
  • Lunch: Fish Chowder, Tortellini & Spinach Soup, Garlicky Garden Vegetable Rotini, Chili Con Carne, Swiss Cheese Burger, The Bulldog Sandwich, Green Bean-Ginger Saute, Ground Pork & Tofu, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Stir-Fry Chicken Teriyaki, Stir Fried Vegetable Lo Mein, Rice, Steakhouse French Fries, Sugar Snap Peas, Oreo Silk Brownie, Oreo Silk Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie
  • Dinner: Tortellini & Spinach Soup, Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken, Pineapple Salsa, Creamy Corn Casserole, Mideast Beans & Spinach, Baked Smoked Ham, Baked Potato, Cheese Sauce, Yale’s Own Local Organic Salsa, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Bourbon Yams, Fresh Broccoli & Cauliflower, Silver Chocolate Chip Pound Cake, Hot Fudge Sauce
  • YALE DAILY NEWS