After a disappointing loss to Penn last Saturday, the Yale men’s soccer team (4–7–3, 1–3 Ivy) will travel to New York on Saturday to take on Columbia (4–8–1, 2–2–0).

Since unfavorable weather conditions led to an unfavorable outcome against Penn, the Bulldogs are eager for an Ivy League victory.

“All league games are important, but we need to get some positive momentum going again,” head coach Brian Tompkins said. “We felt we took a step back at Penn, but we are confident that we can move forward.”

Yale has been focusing on its passing and movement of the ball this week to prepare for the big game.

Last year Yale handily defeated the Lions, who are coming off a 1–0 loss to Lafayette on Tuesday, in a 4–2 victory at Reese Stadium.

However, Columbia has defeated both Penn and Dartmouth this season, two teams that handed losses to the Bulldogs.

Yet Coach Tompkins assured that prior games hold no weight on Saturday’s outcome.

“Every Ivy game is close, and it’s tough, and anything can happen,” Tompkins said. “That has historically been the case and it continues to be proven that on any day any team can beat anyone else.”

Columbia lost to both Brown and Princeton, teams the Elis will face later in the season.

According to Tompkins, Columbia has offensive firepower, and Yale’s defense will look to use its speed to slow it down.

“They’ve got a lot of speed up front,” Tompkins said. “They’ve got a lot of individuals who are very skillful. We’ll be looking to counterattack that offense.”

Additionally, Columbia is a young team with nine new freshmen. Yale’s maturity as a team could prove to be to their advantage on Saturday.

Despite a string of two losses, the Bulldogs are ready to bounce back with a victory Saturday.

“It’s a new game and a new day, and we’ll be looking to win,” Tompkins added.

The game starts at 7 p.m. at Columbia Soccer Stadium.