Econ lecture 115. Biggest class at Yale this semester. Oh yea, about 1,000 kids — well, more like 300 and some, but same difference. After being sufficiently confused for the day, I waddle out with the other students. Funny thing about big lecture classes — takes you about 10 minutes to get out. Could be because you can’t even make a full stride. I think I have knocked out at least five kids with my backpack. But hey, we didn’t get into Yale without growing some tough skin.

I finally break free from the doors, one of which always has to be locked (I found out the hard way). I see my destination ahead: Commons, FOOD. 2:26 p.m. Four minutes to make it. Good thing my shoes weren’t broken in. As I am in mid-booking, and seriously about to cry from my newly formed blisters, I pull my head up and notice something quite intriguing. I am just behind Beinecke, looking in the direction of Woosley Hall. The clouds are gray with pristine white lining, perfectly framing the tree line that, honestly, was glowing. At that exact moment, the light was illuminating everything. It was eerie; it was unsettling; it was peaceful, and it was beautiful. The angle of the sun, the intense color of the foliage and the sharp roofline of Woosely Hall all merged in a moment of true art. I stopped, taking it in. I pulled out my cell phone to take a picture, but then I saw 2:33 p.m. No! I need food! My head went down and I raced to the dining hall. Panting as I pulled out my card, the lunch lady was definitely chuckling under her breath. I didn’t care, I made it! As I ate my lunch, I pulled out my phone to remember the image I had just seen until I realized that I didn’t take the picture. As I left, over a half an hour later, I saw students still coming into the dining hall. 2:30 is more of a suggestion than an imperative, it turns out. Walking back to the spot behind Beinecke, I was unable to see the same view I had enjoyed for a brief moment. Beauty had happened, and I wished I had stopped for it.