New Metro-North stop to open in West Haven by 2012

Gov. M. Jodi Rell on Thursday announced plans for a new Metro-North Railroad commuter station in West Haven. She said she expects the state bond commission to approve $103 million for the station’s construction Sept. 25. According to a press release from the governor’s office, the 3,000-square-foot West Haven station will offer commuters a waiting room, restrooms and a newsstand, as well as over 700 new parking spaces. At a news conference yesterday, Rell highlighted the future station’s economic benefits, emphasizing job creation. Construction is set to begin in 2010 and end two years later. —Natalia Thompson

At city services meeting, some disapprove of UI’s relocation

Little progress was made at the city services and environmental policy meeting Thursday night concerning New Haven’s primary power provider, United Illuminating, and its decision to relocate to Orange, Conn. UI representatives did not attend the meeting, and the attorney general, also slated to testify, was absent due to conflicts. Aldermanic President Carl Goldfield said the Board of Aldermen plans to draft a letter to disapprove of UI’s absence. Testimonies at the meeting all disapproved of UI’s decision to change locations. —Rachel Wang

Local artists showcase work to raise money for state food bank

Atticus Bookstore and Cafe partnered with Chabaso Bakery to hold a charity event Thursday night featuring New Haven musicians. Sixteen local artists sold their work in a silent auction to benefit the Connecticut Food Bank. About 80 people, each encouraged to make a $10 donation at the door, gathered to hear music and sample the complementary sandwiches provided by Chabaso. Jean Marcel Recapet, the general manager of Atticus, said a similar event last year raised $2,000 for suicide prevention. —Baobao Zhang

Two new Republican candidates come forth to challenge Sen. Dodd

The Republican 2010 Senate primary just got even more crowded. Two new candidates, economist Peter Schiff and former-World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Linda McMahon, have joined former-Rep. Rob Simmons, state Sen. Sam Caliguiri and former-Irish Ambassador Tom Foley in seeking to challenge 29-year incumbent Sen. Chris Dodd next November. A Quinnipiac University poll released this week showed Connecticut residents disapproving of Dodd’s senatorial performance by a margin of 49 to 43. —Zeke Miller

After Fair Haven shooting Wednesday, downtown blocked off

Wednesday afternoon on State Street, a New Haven police officer discovered a driver transporting a gunshot victim to the hospital, according to New Haven Police Department reports. At about the same time, police received reports of a shooting in Fair Haven near the corner of Ferry Street and Peck Street. While an ambulance brought the man, who had been shot twice, in the arm and chest, to the hospital, NHPD created and sealed a crime scene stretching over two blocks. Detectives arrived to examine the vehicle and the surrounding area. Police have yet to release a reason behind the shooting or make an arrest. —Colin Ross