The No. 1 women’s sailing team won the New England Championship last weekend while the No. 5 coed sailors competed at the Thompson Trophy and the Admiral’s Cup, finishing fifth and 11th, respectively.

The women traveled to Lake Champlain in Burlington, Vt., where they beat out Harvard for the No. 1 position, securing their chances to go to Nationals.

In the A divison, Jane Macky ’09 and Marla Menninger ’10 placed sixth in their division. The two did very well on Saturday, winning their division after the first day of racing, but struggled Sunday and fell to sixth in their division.

In the B division, Elizabeth Brim ’11 and Kate Hagemann ’09 finished first in their division.

This win qualifies the team for the Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship regatta to be held in San Francisco from May 25-27.

At the Thompson Trophy in New London, Conn., the coed Elis improved on their 15th-place finish in 2008 and placed fifth at the event this year. The event, hosted by Coast Guard, included 18 races in two divisions that took place in difficult winds and strong currents.

Thomas Barrows ’10 and Blair Belling ’11 took fifth in the A division. The pair accrued 136 points, including two first-place finishes. They finished in the top-five in half of their races.

“The Thompson had pretty normal weather,” Barrows said. “There were straight wind conditions on Saturday, but there was a lot of current. On Sunday, we had even more current, but the wind was more shifty and it was hard to sail consistently.”

In the B division, John Kempton ’10 and Adriane Levin ’09 took seventh with 154 points. In seven of the 18 races, the two placed in the top five.

Over at the Admiral’s Cup, hosted by the US Merchant Marine Academy at King’s Point, N.Y., the Bulldogs ended with 212 points and 11th place, but stood only 19 points away from sixth. No. 12 Tufts won the regatta with 114 points.

In a change from the normal windward-leeward course, this regatta featured a trapezoidal course with separate start and finish lines.

“It was pretty light wind,” Grace Becton ’09 said. “Saturday morning there was no wind, so we were postponed until about 12:30. Sunday we didn’t sail at all because there was no wind.”

In the A division, Joseph Morris ’12 and Becton sailed FJs to a third-place finish. Their 43 points placed them one team behind No. 1 Boston College. The duo won one race and ranked in the top-five in half of their races.

Cameron Cullman ’12 and Emmet Smith ’09 sailed in the B division. Racing in 420s, the two placed 10th with 70 points.

In the C division, Caleb Dorfman ’09 sailed in the single-handed laser class. The senior earned 99 points and placed 13th. It was his collegiate debut in the class.

“Overall, it was a pretty good regatta for a young team,” Cullman said.

The team also competed on Saturday at the Priddy Trophy in Buzzards Bay, Mass. At this event, the New England Freshmen Championships, Rob Struckett ’12 and Stephanie Schulyler ’12 placed fifth with 55 points in 11 races.

This weekend the team travels to the ICSA National Semi-finals at the Fan Pier in Boston hosted by No. 8 Harvard. The regatta will decide whether the coed team will travel to San Francisco for the ICSA Coed Dinghy National Championships. The top nine teams from the semi-finals will advance.

Team members said they are confident that they will secure a ticket to the Golden State.

“There will be some pressure, but hopefully it won’t be too hard,” Barrows said. “We have a chance to win the regatta. That’s been the goal the whole year, to get to Nationals.”

This weekend, the coed team travels to the ICSA National Semi-finals in Boston. They will also compete at the BU Trophy.