Groundhog Day is today. Cheer on Punxsutawney Phil from your cold, snowed-in dorms.

A group of dramatically inclined Yalies have put their talents on YouTube in their series “College Musical.” Episode 1 features a lovestruck Sam Tsui ’11 singing a heartfelt ballad to his TA, played by Allison Williams ’10.

The Freshman Screw’s controversial theme and last-minute name-change did not deter eager freshmen from flocking to Commons on Saturday night, though the night did not end well for all: One female student appeared to have passed out and was wheeled away by paramedics around midnight.

A stall in the men’s bathroom in the basement of Commons suffered a worse fate Saturday night. The door was ripped off and the floor was covered with vomit.

In what is becoming a Screw tradition, primping freshmen were exiled from L-Dub by an untimely fire alarm. Last year, the same happened in Welch.

The centennial concert of the Yale Whiffenpoofs filled Woolsey Hall, after an initial struggle getting people inside. The Rotunda was packed, and the concert, which featured comedian John Hodgman ’94 and Whiffenpoof alumni, started half an hour late.

But alas, the Whiffenpoofs’ longevity is not shared by their favored haunt: With Mory’s dark and shuttered, the singers were instead received at a party at The Graduate Club on Elm Street.

FOOT leaders considered applications for next year’s orientation guides on their weekend retreat to the rustic wilds — of Westchester, N.Y.

The Yale College Council’s Spring Fling committee met yesterday for the first time. Still no word on the act; the group is making it a priority to outdo Sean Kingston’s flop last year.

An essay by Yale’s infamous abortion artist, Aliza Shvarts ’08, will appear in an upcoming collection about women’s first periods, “My Little Red Book,” by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff ’13.

The dining halls’ “Pure Vermont Maple Syrup” contains only 15 percent maple syrup, according to the ingredient card provided by Yale University Dining Services.

At least, thanks to posted signs, students can be confident that the dining halls have removed all recalled peanut products.

This day in Yale history

1916 Tickets to the Yale Prom go on sale for $6. It’s not quite Screw, but it’ll work.

Submit ideas to Cross Campus
crosscampus@yaledailynews.com