Students celebrated victory or drowned their sorrows at election parties hosted around campus last night. Keys to the City at Caffe Bottega held a benefit party with penny drinks starting at 8 p.m., while Alchemy kicked off the Red Bull Election Party at 9 p.m. Keeping up with the patriotic theme, Alchemy featured a giant ice luge in the shape of the continental United States.

A pair of moose supporting Barack Obama caused a public disturbance yesterday morning. An unidentified Connecticut College professor — who went by Dr. Moose — and Philadelphia campaigner Alison Gerig dressed up in moose costumes and held up “Honk for Obama” signs at the corner of Elm and York. Why moose? “I’m trying to protect the moose from Sarah Palin,” Gerig said.

Cafés had a burst of philanthropy in celebration of Election Day yesterday. Atticus gave out over 1,000 loaves of bread in the morning, and Starbucks, which offered free coffee to voters, saw its average daily clientele increase by 500 people. How will the eateries recover from the losses? “The money is going toward building relations with the community,” said a Starbucks barista. “Good deeds will lead to more profit in the future.”

U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) let loose last night with a mug of Irish cheer. DeLauro, who won re-election, joined her constituents to watch the voting returns at 9 p.m. at The Playwright. In support of her run for her 10th term, “Vote DeLauro” signs mysteriously appeared Monday night on Old Campus.

Yalies crushed the competition over the weekend at the 2008 Debate Championships, hosted by Wesleyan University. For the fourth year in a row, two Yale teams beat out the others and faced each other at the semifinals. Grant May ’10 and Jonathan Eng ’11 took the trophy home.

Juniors in McClellan Hall will face further toilet woes this afternoon. University facilities will turn off the water in McClellan from 2 to 6 p.m. today to fix the building’s water pressure. “The hope is that they will solve the problem and you can use your own toilets again,” JE Dean Kyle Farley said.

IQ doesn’t matter. Thomas Skiba, a researcher at the Child Study Center, is developing a “giftedness test” for 9 to 12-year-olds based not on IQ but instead on Sternberg’s Theory of Successful Intelligence.

This day in Yale history

1940 President Franklin D. Roosevelt became the first and only person to win a third presidential term. “Just because the President has chosen to run again does not mean that we are headed for a dictatorship,” Wilbur L. Cross ’85 said. But others were worried that a third term might be too much for one individual. “If Roosevelt chooses to interpret the election as a mandate of the people for an extreme interventionist foreign policy, there will be acute danger of dissension,” economics professor R.M. Bissell said.