For the women’s ice hockey team, it all came down to finishing their opportunities on offense in their road trip to New York last weekend. When they were able to convert, they dominated Union, 4-0; when they didn’t, they lost a third period lead to Rensselaer, falling 2-1 in the second weekend of play for the 2008-’09 season.

Head coach Hilary Witt said her team played well in both contests, yet was unable to finish scoring chances in the latter game.

On Saturday’s game in Troy, N.Y., the Bulldogs (1-2-0, 1-1 ECAC) got out to a 1-0 lead against RPI in the first minute of the third period. Defenseman Helen Resor ’09 followed up on a shot from defenseman Alyssa Clarke ’10 that had been blocked to give the away squad the lead. Penalties would end up doing the Elis in, as both of the goals they conceded came on 5-on-3 situations for RPI.

“We took some penalties against RPI that didn’t put us in good positions to win,” Witt said. “We had our chances to score, but we didn’t.”

Against Union in Schenectady, N.Y., on Friday, forwards Crysti Howser ’09 and Bray Ketchum ’11 each scored two goals, while goalie Genny Ladiges ’12 recorded a shutout in her first career start. Ladiges was a standout player for the Elis over the weekend, making 25 combined saves in the two games over the weekend. Jackie Snikeris ’11 is also a net-minder for the Bulldogs. Witt said the decision on who would start would be a game-by-game decision this season.

According to captain Sarah Tittman ’09, the team is drawing positives from the two weekend contests, despite the 1-1 split.

“It was our first league weekend and obviously we were hoping to come home with two victories, but there are a lot of positive things we were able to pull from the weekend,” she said. “In the first game against Union, we controlled the puck well and ran our forecheck effectively.”

The Bulldogs welcome St. Lawrence to Ingalls Rink on Friday at 7 p.m.