The Bulldogs have not yet won an Ivy League game, but this weekend, Yale’s field hockey team will have the chance to prove itself against the Big Green.

Yale (2-8, 0-3 Ivy) faces Dartmouth (3-7, 2-1) in New Hampshire this Saturday. The next day, they will head home to play Hofstra (7-6).

After last week’s game against No. 7 University of Connecticut (10-3), the Bulldogs said they felt happy with the way they had played and were optimistic about the outlook for the coming season. They remain adamant that their statistics do not reflect their ability as a team, because their schedule has been particularly difficult. Of the 10 teams that have played so far, six have been ranked or received votes in the national poll.

“I think we are more than prepared to play Dartmouth,” said forward Alyssa Jethani ’09.

The Big Green is not ranked and has a losing average, but that doesn’t mean it will be an easy game for the Elis. The contest has been historically close: Although the Bulldogs have won three of the past four annual matchups, it has never been by more than two goals. When they met last year, Yale won 1-0, but only after going into double overtime.

So far this season, Yale and Dartmouth have each lost to both Providence and Princeton. But the Big Green also fell 3-2 to Holy Cross, who the Bulldogs beat 3-1. Dartmouth’s top scorer, Kelly Hood, has had five goals this season. Ashley McCauley ’10 leads the Elis with six.

Yale returns to New Haven to go up against Hofstra on Sunday. Last year’s matchup with the Pride ended in a Yale victory, 6-2. So far this season, both teams have beaten Sacred Heart. Hofstra won, 2-1; Yale won, 6-1.

The Bulldogs were extremely proud of how they played last weekend, head coach Pam Stuper said. But in order to realize their hopes of finishing in the top three of the Ivy League, they need to start winning. That begins with Dartmouth this weekend.