Someone went furniture shopping in the Davenport College common room last Friday, according to Davenport Master Richard Schottenfeld.

Schottenfeld announced in an e-mail Wednesday afternoon that two blue leather couches were taken from the common room. While many students said they were unaware of the couches’ absence until the e-mail was sent out, there was a general sense of bafflement among D’porters yesterday at how exactly someone might maneuver the furniture out of the common room unnoticed.

“It’s bizarre that people could just walk out of here with two couches,” Bevin Peters ’09 said.

Some students interviewed were also perturbed, as the only people with key card access to the room on a Friday are members of Davenport.

“It irritates me to no end,” Laura Rapin ’09 said. “I’m very disappointed in our community.”

Schottenfeld could not be reached for comment Wednesday. In his announcement to students he appealed to them for any information or suspicious sightings.

Some students hypothesized that a student group may have moved the missing couches and then simply forgot to return them; others said they think it may have been a prank. has yet to take any decisive action relating to the matter. Several residents of Davenport said they wait in the hope that the couches will be returned so that they might have a comfortable place to relax and study.

Despite the hopes, Kenoma Anighoro ’09 is skeptical about the prospect of the furniture’s return.

“I hope they come back,” he said, “but I don’t think it’s very realistic.”

Students said they were unsure about any motives that could have spurred the sudden disappearance of the couches. Although their value could not be confirmed, Hasib Nasirullah ’11 said the couches could have been relatively expensive, judging by the generally high quality of the ambient furnishings. According to Nasirullah, the loss of the couches also cost Davenport more than their physical price tag.

“There was a sentimental value to them as well because they’ve been in Davenport for quite a while,” he said.

While some students have already felt the impact of the couches’ absence, others were more indifferent. A D’porter who declined to give his name said he did not frequent the common room very often and admitted ignorance of the situation.

“I actually don’t know which couches they’re talking about,” the student said.

Regardless of whether they ever used the couches or not, many Davenport students are on the lookout for the missing furniture.

“I hope the Davenport community can come together and solve this,” Chandler Coggins ’10 said. “They were comfortable couches.”