An errant cigarette butt brought fire trucks to Mory’s late Thursday night. No damage or injuries were reported.

A cigarette discarded in the garden in front of the historic Temple Bar ignited a piece of newspaper. The restaurant’s management called the fire department, which prepared for the worst, responding with a ladder in case it had to rescue evacuees from the club’s roof.

But there was no need. The small blaze was quickly extinguished, although the heat continued to register on the firefighters’ infrared sensors. They sprayed the area, but recoiled from a volley of mud that belched back in their faces, according to a New Haven Police officer at the scene.

The minor emergency, which was doused before it could spread, had little effect on the line gathered outside Toad’s Place.