A male Calhoun College junior was the victim of an attempted robbery at knifepoint outside his residential college early Thursday morning.

At approximately 3:15 a.m., an undergraduate student was attacked by a “man wearing a black puffy jacket and white baseball cap, riding a bicycle,” Yale Police Department Chief James Perrotti wrote in e-mail announcement sent to all Yale faculty and students at 9:09 a.m. yesterday.

But the e-mail did not mention that the student was injured by a stab wound to the arm that sent him to University Health Services shortly after the attack. The victim, whose name is being withheld by the News to protect the victim’s privacy, said Thursday that he is currently in good condition.

It remains unclear whether the assailant has been found.

The YPD did not return several requests for comment Thursday.

The victim said he was walking from Gourmet Heaven to his college when the assailant approached him from College Street. The attacker demanded money and prodded the knife into the junior’s arm, who pushed the assailant to the ground, he said. The assailant then rose and stabbed the victim in the arm.

The junior went to UHS for treatment after noticing a “moderate” arm wound on his left shoulder — which did not require stitches — and remained there until “between 4 and 4:30 a.m.,” he said.

A UHS representative said she could not confirm whether the victim was in the facility Thursday night because of patient-doctor privacy.

Most Calhoun students interviewed by the News on Thursday night were alarmed by the information and questioned why Perrotti did not mention the stabbing in the morning e-mail. But many said the incident did not surprise them because the victim was walking alone despite past warnings from Yale officials to walk in groups in the early morning hours.

“I understand a reason for withholding the information — that it is to prevent panic,” Nikila Sri-Kumar ’11 said. “But students have a right to know the extent of this event in order to be able to protect themselves properly.”

And panic may indeed not spread quickly within Calhoun — simply because not many students read the e-mail.

Of the 20 Calhoun students interviewed by the News, 12 said they did not read the e-mail — one deleted it after seeing the e-mail was from Perrotti.

“Honestly,” Ford Stevens ’10 said, “I don’t think anyone thought too much of it because we’ve got so many e-mails from him.”

“But I was a little concerned because it was so close,” he added.

But when told about the withheld information, Stevens was astonished. “I feel misled.”

Many students interviewed in the Calhoun courtyard Thursday night were alarmed when told about the incident.

Naima Sykes ’10 exclaimed, “What?” She stood speechless, eyes wide, for a moment.

Stevens, who was next to Sykes, then joked, “I think I’m gonna carry an assault rifle now.”

In accordance with the national Clery Act, Perrotti issues “timely warnings” to Yale students and faculty, according to the 2006 Yale University Report on Campus Security. In addition, notifications are made “by phone or in person to University Officers, deans and others closely associated with any victim of a major crime.”

No such notifications were made by Calhoun officials on Thursday, all students interviewed said.

Calhoun Master Jonathan Holloway declined to comment Thursday night. Calhoun Dean Leslie Woodard could not be reached for comment.

Many students said they had not noticed any change in the atmosphere around Calhoun yesterday. Only three Calhoun students said they had a conversation about the incident yesterday.

Despite the Yale Security program instituted Jan. 7 that pledges a more concrete presence in the residential colleges, all but one Calhoun student said they have not noticed any heightened security today — or all year.

At the end of his e-mail, Perrotti urged Yale students and faculty members to call the Yale Police hotline or 911 if they are involved with or observe a crime on campus.