A Davenport sophomore has been arrested and charged with voyeurism and dissemination of voyeurism.

Denmark native Casper Desfeux, 20, was released from New Haven Police Department custody on Thursday evening around 10 p.m. after being brought in that afternoon, said state marshal Wes Gladwell. Desfeux was released on a promise to appear in court, as he has no prior criminal record, Gladwell said.

Voyeurism, as defined by the Connecticut criminal code, is when a person films or photographs another individual without his or her knowledge when that person has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Voyuerism and the dissemination of voyeuristic materials are both Class D felonies.

A number of students, all of whom wished to remain anonymous, said they had heard from students close to the incident that Desfeux allegedly videotaped himself and another person having sex using a computer web cam and then showed others the tape, all without his partner’s consent or knowledge.

Desfeux declined to comment, saying that the incident is still under investigation. His lawyer, William Dow ’63, said he and Desfeux have not been provided with official information from the New Haven Police Department as to what charges Desfeux will face.

“It appears that this evolved from a misunderstanding and we’re hopeful that the situation can be resolved,” Dow said.

Students complained that the Sept. 14 issue of the New Haven register, which reported the incident in its police blotter, was removed from the Davenport dining hall. Davenport College Master Richard Schottenfeld denied allegations that college administrators were involved.

“We didn’t remove the newspapers, and it’s not our policy to remove newspapers,” he said in an e-mail. “We don’t approve of censorship or of attempts to limit access to information, news or publications.”

Davenport sophomores Jacob Abolafia ’10 and Jerry Wei ’10 said all copies of Friday’s Register were confiscated from the Davenport dining hall by Friday afternoon. Abolafia said dining hall workers told him the college’s dean, Craig Harwood, confiscated the papers.

“That was kind of troubling to some people in the college,” Abolafia said. “The college was definitely trying to censor how people heard the story.”

Abolafia said he was later able to find the Friday issue of the paper in Timothy Dwight college.

Davenport dining hall staff who worked Friday morning and afternoon were unavailable for comment Monday night. Harwood declined to comment for the story.

Yale spokesman Thomas Conroy said the University does not have any comment on the situation involving Desfeux.

“The arrest warrant was sealed,” he said. “Student disciplinary action at Yale is confidential.”

Gladwell said Desfeux’s court date is set for Sept. 20.