Ward 1 Alderman Nick Shalek ’05 was arrested early Sunday morning by the New Haven Police Department following an altercation outside a downtown bar.

Following the arrest, which took place at approximately 2 a.m. at the Salty Dog Saloon on Center Street, Shalek faces charges of breach of peace, criminal trespassing and interfering with an officer, according to press reports.

Shalek could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Currently working as a financial analyst for the Yale Investments Office, Shalek was elected to the Board of Aldermen last year as an independent candidate after defeating incumbent and fellow Yalie Rebecca Livengood ’07, a democrat.

Brett Edkins ’06, Shalek’s campaign manager, declined to comment on the incident but said that he had not been notified of the arrest.

“It’s not something that he would pick up the phone to call people about,” Edkins said.

A political science and economics double major at Yale, Shalek currently serves on the finance, human services and municipal services committees of the Board of Aldermen. Committee chairpersons and Board of Aldermen President Carl Goldfield were not available for comment Tuesday.

According to Connecticut state law, Shalek could face up to one year of prison and a $2,000 fine if convicted of either trespassing or interfering with an officer, as well as up to six months of prison and a $1,000 fine if convicted of breach of peace.