Yale men’s soccer captain Shannon Brooks ’06 was named Ivy League Player of the Week yesterday after his solid performance at the Yale Classic Sept. 16-18.

The Colorado native was the team’s offensive catalyst over the weekend, scoring the Bulldogs’ lone goal against Michigan State Friday and the game-winner in overtime against American Sunday. After four games, the forward is the team leader in both goals (two) and points (four).

Against defending Big Ten Champion Michigan State, Brooks broke a scoreless tie in the second half off a feed from forward Alex Munns ’07. Against American, the team fought hard for 90 minutes, receiving goals from Munns and forward Gage Hills ’07. In the overtime period, a little under five minutes had elapsed when Brooks notched the game-winner off a cross from forward Josh Block ’07.

Block was quick to praise his captain and the standard he sets for the Eli squad.

“I think he’s been really important because he provides such a great example for everybody,” Block said. “Everyone respects him.”

Midfielder Jordan Rieger ’07 also noted that Brooks’ ability to lead away from the pitch has been important to the team.

“Off the field, he makes sure everybody is focused and in good spirits,” Rieger said. “He’s always encouraging. He’s exactly what you want in your captain.”

Thanks to Brooks’ effort, the Bulldogs walked away with their first title at the Yale Classic since 2001. The Elis head to Hanover, N.H., this weekend to take part in the Adidas Classic at Dartmouth. They play Rhode Island Friday and then take on Drake Sunday.

YALE DAILY NEWS