After a fine display of skills last week in New Haven, the youngsters of Yale’s men’s and women’s track teams took their shows on the road.

Again bolstered by strong efforts from their underclassmen, the men’s and women’s track teams placed first and second, respectively, in separate dual meets against Dartmouth and Columbia in Hanover, N.H. The Bulldog men posted a number of first place finishes on their way to defeating Dartmouth and Columbia with a total of 81 points. The Eli women posted some equally impressive results on the way to racking up 60.5 points, just three points behind winner Dartmouth. Athletes were able to showcase their versatility and durability at the event because the Bulldogs didn’t bring their full complement of runners.

The men had a dominating performance in the sprinting events, taking first and second in the 60-meter dash, 60-meter hurdles and 200-meter dash. Victor Cheng ’08 won the 60 meters with a time of 6.96 seconds and earned second in the 200 meters at 22.61 seconds. Fellow freshman Brandon Giles took second in the 60 at 6.97 seconds and first in the 200 with a time of 22.47 seconds. Dan O’Brien ’08 won the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.27 seconds, and classmate James Carter ’08 came in second with a time of 8.72 seconds.

“We have a good young sprinting core,” Giles said of his class’s success. “I’m feeling pretty good, but I still want to get better.”

Lindsay Donaldson ’08 had a strong performance for the women’s team, winning the mile at 4:49.99. In high school, Donaldson was a Massachusetts state champion in cross-country and in the indoor mile. Her personal record for that distance is 4:46.

“We have a great freshman class this year that’s filling a lot of holes that seniors left when they graduated,” middle distance runner Katie Greene ’06 said.

She said that this meet tested the squad because many of the distance runners did not attend. Because of that, she said coaches told runners to focus on individual bests rather than team points.

“We’re off to a pretty good start, but it was a little bit of a disappointment this weekend,” she said. “Some people didn’t perform as well as they could have.”

But she was quick to postulate that Yale could have won the match with its full team.

“We definitely have better squads than both Dartmouth and Columbia,” she said.

Jihad Beauchman ’06, who won the high jump (2.06 meters) and the triple jump (13.84 meters), said one of the biggest reasons for the success of the men was the depth of the team.

“We have a much more well-rounded team this year,” Beauchman said. “We’re usually good at certain events — this year we have good people at every event.”

Indeed, the men’s performance in the field echoed the superiority they showed on the track. Matthew Lachman ’07 added a third Eli victory in field with a victory in the pole vault, where he cleared 4.65 meters.

The women also had a good meet in the field, with victories in two events. Margo Angelopoulos ’06 won the shot put with a heave of 12.66 meters, while Molly Lederman ’06 pole vaulted into first place at 3.75 meters.

Despite the second-place finish, Greene believes the women will build on their successes in the coming weeks.

“We learned from this weekend,” she said. “We got our eyes opened up a little bit.”

The men’s team is looking forward to its meet against Cornell, which is a perennial favorite to take the Ivy title.

“We can do well,” said Beauchman. “We’re looking to put big points on the board.”