Recent delays in negotiations between Harvard University and the Boston Police Department over regulations for the Harvard-Yale game have left Yale tailgate organizers unsure of their plans for the game.

In a meeting on Monday, the Boston Police Department informed the Harvard Undergraduate Council that it would have to apply for a liquor license and an extensive entertainment license before tailgate plans for the Harvard-Yale game could be approved. Other proposed regulations for the tailgate include a ban on U-Hauls, a limit on the amount of alcohol a person can transport and a ban on kegs, except those provided by distributor United Liquors, which will also be responsible for carding drinkers. These regulations, though already endorsed by Harvard administrators, are technically pending until an official agreement can be reached with both United Liquors and the Boston Police Department.

Yale will have the opportunity to buy kegs from United Liquor, said Zack Corker, special assistant to the dean for social programming at Harvard. At a Sunday Harvard Undergraduate Council meeting, HUC President Matthew Mahan revealed new details of Yale’s involvement with United Liquor. Corker said the plan specified the order in which United Liquor would reimburse student organizations for unused kegs.

“Basically, the [Harvard] Undergraduate Council will be reimbursed first, then the [Harvard] Houses and then Yale,” Corker said.

Yale College Council Vice President Chancellor Carlisle ’05 said he received a preliminary e-mail from Mahan Monday. Carlisle said the e-mail did not mention any specifics regarding possible regulations. The e-mail is the only communication the YCC has received from the HUC thus far, Carlisle said.

“Right now there are still a lot of questions,” Carlisle said. “How much will we be paying for alcohol? How will parking spaces be allotted?”

The YCC will let Harvard continue the negotiations without Yale’s help, waiting for the major issues to be resolved before proceeding with any plans of their own, Carlisle said.

“Until the big questions are settled, there’s no use grappling over the details,” Carlisle said.

The main concern of the YCC at the moment is getting as much information as possible about the negotiation process and regulations, YCC Treasurer Andrew Schram ’06 said.

Schram said the regulations he has heard about so far are not likely to drastically change the YCC’s tailgate plans.

“If we can’t bring U-Hauls, we won’t bring U-Hauls, and we’ve dealt with the keg ban before,” Schram said. “I don’t think it will affect the game too much.”

But Dustyn Williams ’05, the co-chair of Branford College’s Student Activities Council, said he thinks the regulations will definitely have a negative impact on the game.

“It’s going to be more stressful with all the regulations and cops patrolling the tailgates trying to stop people from drinking,” Williams said. “People are going to be disappointed when they come.”

Branford has already had to change its tailgate plans, Williams said, bringing a van to the event instead of a U-Haul. He said Branford will also not affiliate itself with any alcohol served at its tailgate.

“We’re going to have a bring-your-own-booze policy,” Williams said.

Mahan said the extra steps Harvard must take to secure police approval are the result of increasing attendance and press coverage of the game.

“Two years ago the game was big enough and loud enough that the department has decided to start treating this game like a [Boston College] game,” Mahan said. “Essentially, we need to go before the licensing commission and go through the licensing process.”

The license obtaining process will likely be difficult, Mahan said. Previously, Harvard had only been required to fill out a one page licensing agreement. This year, as a result of the tougher stance taken by police, Harvard must apply for a more complicated license requiring a six-page application.

“We have a few hoops we need to jump through,” Mahan said. “I’m remaining optimistic, but it’s going to be a lot of work.”