A man sustained serious injuries after falling from the third floor of a residence at 175 Park St. Friday night.

The man, white and in his mid-20s, was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital after he fell, New Haven Police Lt. Denise Blanchard said. The man was not identified by police.

Blanchard said early indications suggest the fall was accidental.

Larry Pinsky, the landlord of 175 Park St., said the man was not a resident of the building. He said most of the 14 apartments in the building are occupied by members of the Yale community but no one could identify whether or not the man was a Yale student.

“He was trying to access the building from a fire escape in the dark of the night,” Pinskey said, “Nobody in the building seems to know who he is, and the building is 90 percent Yalies.”

Blanchard said police do not believe the man had any connection to the University.

Aleksey Garber ’07, who lives in one of the apartments in the building, said he heard “the crash of [a man] hitting the floor” at about 7:45 p.m., just before he left his apartment to attend an orchestra concert at 8 p.m.

“He was behind the window of my apartment,” Garber said.

LaShetta Smith, who works next to 175 Park St. at Jaylyn’s Fried Chicken, told the New Haven Register she saw the man trying to get up after he fell.

Though the state of the man’s health is not currently known, Blanchard said the injuries appeared to be life-threatening at the scene.

— Angela Trevino