The Yale Corporation’s Alumni Fellow Nominating Committee selected David A. Jones, Jr. ’80 LAW ’88, Margaret H. Marshall LAW ’76, and Frederick O. Terrell SOM ’82 as candidates for a six-year term on the Corporation, Yale’s highest governing body.

This spring, for the first time ever, Yale alumni will be able to use the Internet to vote for a new alumni fellow, Vice President and Secretary of the University Linda Lorimer said Thursday. Lorimer said she will send ballots and biographical sketches of each candidate to alumni in early April either by U.S. mail or, for those who indicate they prefer an electronic ballot, via the Internet.

The elected alumnus will replace Linda Mason SOM ’80, who has served on the Corporation since 1998.

Lorimer, who is an ex officio member of the Nominating Committee, said she is pleased with the candidates.

“I think this is an outstanding slate of very accomplished Yale graduates, each of whom could make important contributions to the Corporation,” Lorimer said.

Association of Yale Alumni Executive Director Jeff Brenzel said the committee aimed to help create a Corporation whose members are from different backgrounds, fields and interests. But he said the committee did seek some common traits in all potential candidates.

“There are several [general] criteria that the members of the committee review every year — that the [candidates] have achieved outstanding stature in their primary field of work, that they have a breadth of engagements with other interests [and] a reputation among their peers to work collaboratively with other individuals,” Brenzel said.

Jones serves as chairman and managing director of Chrysalis Ventures, a venture capital firm in Louisville, Ky. Prior to forming Chrysalis, Jones practiced corporate and international law. He currently serves as chairman of the Yale-China Association and was director of the National Committee on U.S.-Chinese Relations. He is also involved with Yale’s Bulldogs in the Bluegrass summer internship program.

Marshall is chief justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. A native of South Africa, she was elected as president of the National Union of South African Students in 1966 and served until 1968 when she came to the United States. Named as chief justice in 1999, Marshall is the second woman to serve on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in its over-300 year history, and the first woman to serve as chief justice. One of Marshall’s recent decisions as chief justice made Massachusetts the first state to rule that same-sex couples have the legal right to marry.

Terrell is managing partner and chief executive officer of Provender Capital Group, LLC and Provender Opportunities Fund, L.P., an equity investment firm in New York City. He also served as financial advisor to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs and has testified on two occasions before the U.S. House of Representatives on the subject of small business loan organization, securitization and capital markets strategies.

Yale University President Richard Levin said online voting will increase alumni involvement.

“It is likely to increase the participation in the elections,” Levin said. “Normally we only get 20 to 25 percent of the eligible voters voting and with the online option, we want to get the number up.”

Traditionally, after the voting is complete, the name of the elected alumni fellow is announced during the first weekend of college reunions at the end of May.