University officials said Tuesday that they will campaign to raise between $200 million and $500 million to cover the cost of implementing recently announced academic review proposals.

Fundraising for the academic review is part of an umbrella capital campaign to raise over $1 billion for several University projects including residential college renovations, Yale President Richard Levin said. The University will officially launch the campaign in 2005 after allowing about two years for the fundraising effort to gain momentum through large-scale donations from individually targeted donors, Levin said.

The campaign follows April’s academic review — the first such undertaking in 30 years — which lists proposals that will alter undergraduates’ experiences at Yale. The committee’s proposals will take effect beginning with the Class of 2009.

Levin said the capital campaign will raise money for aspects of the review that require funding such as the building of a new central campus science teaching center, expanded study abroad opportunities for students, and increasing the size of the University’s faculty by 10 percent.

If the University does not receive sufficient funding, officials may choose to decrease the 10 percent figure, Levin said.

“That’s by far the most expensive item,” Levin said. “We can’t expand the faculty by 10 percent without raising the money to do it.”

The University’s capital campaign will link all of Yale’s fundraising efforts, not just undergraduate education or the academic review, Yale College Dean Richard Brodhead said. Levin said that each school at Yale will be included in the campaign to some extent.

Brodhead said the University already has a few leading donors for the academic review portion of the umbrella campaign. The fundraising has exceeded expectations so far, receiving “significant support” from donors, Brodhead said.

Levin said it is too early to make predictions about the campaign’s success.

The University has taken great care in determining the amount of funding needed to implement review proposals, Brodhead said.

“We’re doing something that’s more than a back-of-the-envelope analysis,” Brodhead said.

The 41-member professor and student academic review committee had met since the University’s 2001 tercentennial to formulate proposals for the review. Their list of proposals includes alterations in distributional requirements and language requirements, increased seminar offerings for underclassmen and a strengthened freshmen advising program.