The Yale field hockey team has been blessed with myriad talent among its freshmen this year.

Four rookies have started for the Bulldogs this season. One freshman who has made an immediate difference for Yale is Trish Bissett ’07. Bissett has received significant playing time thus far and has already contributed to the Bulldog offense. For her efforts against Princeton last week, Bissell earned ECAC Rookie of the Week honors.

In Yale’s game against Princeton Sept. 13, in which the Bulldogs fell to the reigning Ivy League champs 5-4 in overtime, Bissett scored the second goal for the Bulldogs and assisted Gardner on the third goal to bring Yale within one point of the Tigers.

Captain Fran Gardner ’04 said Bissett’s presence gives the team a definite advantage against their competitors.

“Trish [Bissett] has a dangerous shot-on-goal,” Gardner said. “Her skill at that part of the game is better than anyone else’s on the team.”

With excellent stick work and a strong attack on the forward line, Bissett has created havoc for her opponents in her last few games. She has the ability to take the ball off the dribble straight to the goal and neutralize the defense on her drives.

This past weekend, Bissett continued to make her presence felt on the field in the Bulldogs’ meeting with the New Hampshire Wildcats Friday. She opened up the game with Yale’s first goal, setting the tempo for the first half.

Marly Gillece ’06, who started 17 games for the Bulldogs last year as a freshman, has personal experience with how a freshman can be crucial.

“Trish’s stick ability at the forward position has really made a difference for us,” Gillece said. “She has really stepped up despite being a freshman.”

Bissett said the title of Rookie of the Week was a nice bonus.

“I was pleased to get the honor,” Bissett said. “I am from Canada so I did not really know what it meant. But I was happy all the same.”