The field hockey team (1-1) reversed from an unexpected overtime loss on Saturday, edging past the University of Rhode Island (0-3) 1-0 Wednesday night at Yale’s Johnson Field.

After more than 45 minutes of game time passed scoreless, Bulldog midfielder Sarah Driscoll ’05 drove the ball home with 21:52 remaining on the clock. The score proved to be the game winner.

Neither team had a clear advantage during the first 35-minute period; both sides battled for the ball without gaining any clear advantage. Yale head field hockey coach Ainslee Lamb said both teams played hard throughout the game.

“They played a good 70 minutes of hockey,” Lamb said. “The only lull was the last three minutes of the game.”

Neither team scored after Driscoll’s goal, and the remainder of the game did not prevent Yale’s victory. The Elis’ increased momentum helped Yale control the game’s pace, and the score could have been more lopsided had Yale completed several other scoring chances.

Rhode Island head coach Stacey Bean said Yale did a good job of taking advantage of available opportunities.

“It was a great battle back and forth,” Bean said. “We had our chances earlier in the game, and they had theirs later, and they capitalized once.”

Yale players said they were in the mood to win after losing 3-2 Saturday in overtime to Sacred Heart, a team which Yale has traditionally beaten handily. Lamb said she was proud the Bulldogs revived their morale.

“It’s one thing to lose, but it’s another thing to come back,” Lamb said. “The kids came back ready to win. The first win [of the season] is always one of your hardest ones.”

Reserve goalkeeper Kate Crandall ’06 said Yale’s victory last night was expected after intense practices in the wake of the Sacred Heart breakdown.

“We worked really hard in practice,” Crandall said. “The key was transferring that to the game. We did a really good job of that.”

Yale players said they were glad to have won a game before their upcoming Saturday match at Princeton, which has been a tough opponent for Yale in the past. Driscoll said Yale would enter the game with high expectations and a strong work ethic.

“We’re not changing anything [on Saturday], we’re just going to go out there and play our hearts out,” Driscoll said.

Lamb said the win today is representative of a new Yale team with higher morale than its competitors, a trend she expects to continue this Saturday in the Princeton game.

“We’re going to want [to win] more than Princeton does; I’m excited to go down there,” Lamb said.