For her efforts in leading the softball team (6-16) to four wins last week, both on the mound and at the plate, Beth Pavlicek ’06 earned Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors.

Pavlicek (4-2) pitched complete game victories over Hartford Wednesday and Fairfield Friday and 3.2 innings of relief against the University of Connecticut Saturday, allowing only one earned run. Her 0.40 ERA for the 17.2 innings of work dropped her team-leading mark to 1.11. She has accounted for two-thirds of the team’s win total.

“Everything really came together well for the team during last week’s games,” Pavlicek said. “Beginning with Hartford, we took control of the momentum of the game. That intensity carried over through the week and into our 10-inning battle against UConn.”

Against Hartford, Pavlicek allowed four hits and struck out nine. Against the Stags, she allowed eight hits but still only yielded the one earned run.

Pavlicek’s pitching prowess was matched only by her showing in the batter’s box. With three hits in the opener against Connecticut, including two doubles, and two other hits on the weekend, Pavlicek bumped her average to .271, good for fifth on the team.

The Elis’ pitching staff has had a distinct freshman flavor all season; all but two of the team’s 22 decisions have gone to rookies.

“To me, it makes no difference what the class level is of a player,” Pavlicek said. “If you are on the field, your teammates expect you to do your job. Exceptions should not be made for the freshmen or any other class.”

Peggy Hunt ’06 (1-9) has been on the short end of almost all the Elis’ tight games, winning just one game despite a 1.88 ERA. And Ashley Linnenbank ’06 (1-3) has appeared in eight games with a 3.17 ERA.

“I believe this is the first time any of us has been in a rotation before, and it’s amazing. It’s really great the depth this team has in pitching, and it’s been unbelievable to have a chance to contribute as a freshman,” Linnenbank said. “We all throw in very different styles, so we compliment each other very well, and the leadership that [assistant coach Barbara Reinalda] and Jill [Miles ’04] add has been extremely helpful. This should be a very exciting year for us.”

With the freshman trio no doubt leading the way, the Bulldogs will play host to a doubleheader with St. John’s University today. The Red Storm (14-16) have already entered Big East play, and today’s games will be their first since splitting with Rutgers and being swept by Villanova Saturday and Sunday.

“Our team works well together,” Pavlicek said. “We have high expectations of each other, and we complement each other’s weaknesses.”