The committee conducting Yale’s academic review plans to solicit faculty and student feedback when it makes its report public this April, committee members said.

The Committee on Yale College Education met for five hours Sunday to review a draft of the report, which included sections written by each of four working groups. The committee plans to hold a faculty meeting and a series of town meetings with students after making public a draft of the report in early April. Yale College Dean Richard Brodhead said he hopes to have a finalized report by summer and start implementing recommendations in the fall. Since beginning its work last January, the committee has discussed possible recommendations including bringing science down from science hill, increasing the size of the faculty, and improving study abroad and advising.

“It is our earnest hope to have an ultimate draft to release to this community by early April,” said Brodhead, who heads the committee.

Brodhead leads the 41-member committee — composed of faculty, students and alumni — which includes 4 working groups — biomedical education, physical sciences and engineering, social and international studies, and arts and humanities.

Candace Feldman ’03, a member of the working group on biomedical education, said the first stage of releasing the report will be a faculty meeting.

“There will be a period in which there will be a series, probably three, town meetings where students can comment,” Feldman said.

Graduate School Dean Peter Salovey, who leads the working group on biomedical education, said the committee did not want to release a report people would not want to implement.

“Student input will be valued and faculty input will be valued,” Salovey said.

Salovey said the final report will be written from the group as a whole rather than from individual working groups.

Political Science Chairman Ian Shapiro, who leads the working group on social and international studies, said the shape of the whole review report was coming together by the Sunday meeting.

“The draft is actually a compilation of a bunch of things from the various working groups,” Shapiro said.

Feldman said the committee on advising, led by Associate Yale College Dean Penelope Laurans, was still meeting, but the other working groups have finished meeting.

Laurans said in an e-mail the advising committee is still meeting in sub-groups and as a whole to explore the different facets of advising.

“We have, in fact, the draft of a draft, or an evolving draft,” Laurans said. “It exists, and it keeps evolving.”

Salovey said committee members discussed a wide range of issues at the Sunday meeting, including what makes an ideal undergraduate education, resources for the new initiatives, and how students can benefit from being in a university setting. He said many issues still need to be discussed.

Brodhead said the range of issues touched on during the meeting was extensive. He said there were many comments on specifics, but the deep conceptual structure was not criticized.

“It was like leading a too large, but wonderful seminar,” Brodhead said.