Michael Waldvogel will no longer serve as head coach of the men’s lacrosse team this season, players learned Monday.

Waldvogel’s departure comes as the Yale Athletics Department is conducting an internal investigation into potential breaches of the university’s recruiting policy.

“The investigation involves possible violation of athletic department recruiting regulations,” Yale Athletics Director Tom Beckett said. “We are looking into the men’s lacrosse program and all of the issues involved.”

Sources close to the Athletics Department and close to the team confirmed that Waldvogel is the subject of the the department’s investigation.

Although Beckett declined to comment on the specific issues under investigation, he did say that any alleged violation would only involve University policies.

“The regulations at issue are Yale Athletics Department and University recruiting policies,” Beckett said. “They are Yale institutional regulations and do not involve NCAA or Ivy League regulations.”

Beckett said the investigation was prompted by information shared with the Athletics Department in December. He declined to comment on the nature of that information or its origin.

Dean of Admissions Richard Shaw and other admissions officers said they did not have knowledge of the investigation.

At a special team meeting yesterday, the men’s lacrosse team was informed of Waldvogel’s departure. Former assistant coach Darryl Delia will be the Bulldogs’ interim coach, captain Mike Scaglione ’03 said.

Waldvogel and Delia could not be reached for comment.

Waldvogel first came to Yale in 1980, determined to turn a troubled program around. In the 21 seasons since then, Waldvogel has become the winningest lacrosse coach in Yale history with an overall record of 168-143 as head coach.

In 1990, Waldvogel led his charges to a 16-2 overall record, a No. 2 national ranking and a spot in the Final Four.

For his team’s success in 1990, Waldvogel received the Morris Touchstone Award as the nation’s top Division I coach — the first coach of the year award for a Yale lacrosse coach. Later the same year, Waldvogel was an assistant coach for the U.S. World Team, which captured the world championship in Perth, Australia.

In 1992, Waldvogel took a team with no standouts to 12 wins in 16 starts and a berth in the national quarterfinals.

Despite losing Waldvogel, the men’s lacrosse team has regrouped around Delia, who has been assistant coach for the past seven years.

“Our loyalties are with coach [Delia].” Scaglione said. “As disappointed as we are to see coach Waldvogel go, we are ready to rally behind coach Delia.”