The University of Pennsylvania avenged last year’s loss to Harvard and clinched at least a tie for the Ivy League Championship Saturday. The much heralded match-up of Ancient Eight unbeatens proved to be a rout as Penn (8-1, 6-0 Ivy) dominated Harvard (6-3, 5-1). Brown (1-8, 1-5) finally broke the ice in the win column with a close victory over Dartmouth (3-6, 2-4), while Cornell (4-5, 3-3) topped last place Columbia (1-8, 0-6).

Penn 44, Harvard 9

Penn’s defense, which allows the fewest yards and points in the Ivy League, held Harvard to 339 yards of offense, more than 100 yards below their league-leading average. In fact, Harvard’s only touchdown was a “garbage-time” score late in the fourth quarter.

On the other side of the ball, Penn quarterback Mike Mitchell picked apart the Crimson defense, completing 21 of 30 passes for 317 yards and touchdown tosses to four different receivers. His primary target, Rob Milanese, had 9 catches for 139 yards and one touchdown.

Quaker defensive end Chris Pennington returned a fumble 51 yards for Penn’s first touchdown. His score widened the 3-2 lead that Penn had been nursing since Harvard’s Brian Garcia recorded a safety against the Quakers midway through the first quarter.

Cantab wide receiver Carl Morris, who began the game as the Division I-AA leader in both receptions per game and receiving yards, was held to 3 catches for 16 yards.

Brown 21, Dartmouth 18

For the second week in a row, a missed extra point in the first half doomed Dartmouth. Big Green quarterback Brian Mann matched Brown’s Kyle Slager as both teams combined for over 800 yards of total offense, but the difference proved to be two missed extra points by Tyler Lavin and a failed two point conversion.

Slager tossed for 270 yards on 32 of 42 passing, while running back Joe Rackley rushed 27 times for 148 yards. Brown’s All-Ivy wide receiver Chas Gessner finished with 14 receptions, 128 yards, and one touchdown.

Mann threw 46 times and was successful 27 times, including three passing touchdowns. Dartmouth wideout Jay Barnard caught two of those touchdown passes and finished with 101 yards and 10 catches on the day.

Cornell 17, Columbia 14

Cornell quarterback Mick Razzano did not have a particularly impressive statistical performance Saturday, but he came through when it mattered in a thriller against Columbia.

Razzano, who finished 9 of 22 for 109 passing yards, hit John Kellner on a 44-yard fourth down pass to bring Cornell, who trailed 14-10 at the time, to the Columbia 22. With less than half a minute remaining, Razzano again found Kellner, this time in the end zone, for the winning score.

The Lions had a chance to even the score, but Nick Rudd missed a 41-yard field goal. Columbia running back Rashad Biggers rushed for 98 yards and what appeared to be the winning touchdown when he scored with just over 3 minutes remaining in the game, before Razzano’s touchdown drive.