Whether it’s leading campus tours or shelving books at the Law School library, employment opportunities abound for Yalies who need to contribute to the whopping $35,000 yearly bill or for those who just want a little extra cash. With generous pay, flexible hours and understanding supervisors, campus jobs are usually the best around.

The University raised the student minimum wage to $9 per hour last year in order to attract more student workers. Diane Williams, the supervisor of student employment, said the wage increase has prompted students to work more hours and attracted more students to work on campus.

“I think the work experience is worth everything,” Williams said. “We offer such a wide variety of student jobs — there is a job for anyone who is interested.”

Students tend to enjoy working with other students in jobs with bosses familiar with the stresses of being a full-time Yale student and a part-time book reshelver at Sterling Memorial Library, for example.

Sarah Moros ’05 said organization is key to successfully maintaining the balance between work, activities and academics.

“Some nights you don’t get as much sleep as you want, and some weeks are really rough,” she said. “You just have to prioritize.”

But, she said, having a job on campus is a rewarding way to spend part of your college career.

“It’s kind of a nice thing even for those people who don’t absolutely have to work,” she said. “It gives you a sense of independence from your parents and extra pocket money. And if you’re in a job that’s relaxed as most are, it’s just a nice way to spend an hour or two of your day.”

Students commonly work in libraries, dining halls, master’s and dean’s offices, religious institutions, and in administrative offices. For Scott Kroehle ’05, working in the Calhoun dining hall lets him meet people from the community as well. Not just a gig for Joshua Jackson in “The Skulls,” dining hall work is popular because it’s close to home and a break from books and papers.

“Something I really enjoy about it is that you work with real working people — they’re not just Yale students,” Kroehle said. “It’s a different experience when you make friendships and bonds between people who are not professional students so to speak.”