The two Yale pitchers combined for 12 innings of shutout softball. Filson went ten innings, allowing just four hits and two walks, before Miles came in and pitched two hitless innings as a reliever.

The three-hour game was truly a pitchers’ duel as Providence freshman Nicole Bartholomew threw 12 innings and struck out 15 batters.

Yale (13-9-1) finally broke the scoreless tie in the top of the 12th inning. With runners on second and third, Leah Kelley ’04 hit into a fielder’s choice that scored Rina Brannen ’04 from third, giving the Elis a 1-0 lead.

Jesseka Bartholomew ’03 then added insurance runs by slamming a three-run home run in the next at bat. Bartholomew leads the team with five home runs this season.

Nicole Bartholomew came into the game as the reigning Big East Player of the Week for Providence (7-20). She has a 6-8 record that includes a perfect game and a one-hitter in back-to-back contests.

Not only did Yale have to battle at the plate, but the Bulldogs also fought their way out of quite a few close-calls in the field. The Elis twice threw out runners at the plate to maintain the 0-0 score.

Wednesday’s game marked Yale’s last contest before the opening of Ivy League play. The Bulldogs will face Dartmouth (12-6) and Harvard (13-4) this weekend at home.

–Caroline Nathan