The atmosphere at the Cullman Courts mirrored the airy weather outside. Sounds of jazz filled the clubhouse and the players on the women’s tennis team joked in hushed voices about the prospect of serving up aces in racy underwear to attract a larger home crowd. On the courts, the Eli women made quick work of their opponents.

Sometimes the numbers do not do justice to the difficulty of a game, but for No. 59 Yale’s (4-0) decisive 7-0 rout of Seton Hall (1-4), the box score is an accurate indicator of the effortless win. For the second time in as many weeks, the Eli women swept away the competition without a single gaffe on the court.

The Bulldogs opened the day by taking all three doubles matches to jump out to a 1-0 lead. Biffy Kaufman ’03 and Karlyn Martin ’04 set the pace by defeating the Pirates’ No. 1 duo of Kyli Lassalle and Nicole Cercone, 8-1.

The doubles point was secured after Ashley Martin ’04 and captain Liz Oosterhuis ’02 won 8-5 over Kim Barfusso and Lorell Zamot. In the last doubles match, Susie Hiniker ’02 and Stephanie White ’05 teamed up to trounce their opponents by a score of 8-1.

In singles play, the women were also perfect, all winning in straight sets. Because No. 1 Andrea Goldberg ’02 was confined to the cheering section to rest the tendinitis in her right arm, Yale head coach Chad Skorupka shifted everyone in the lineup up a notch and penciled in Karlyn Martin for the No. 6 spot.

Hiniker opened the singles round and registered a 6-1, 6-0 win against Cercone. Hiniker played an aggressive attack game from the baseline, racking up points in record time.

Kaufman quickly followed suit, upending Seton Hall’s Lassalle. After a sluggish start, Kaufman swiftly turned the pace around and reeled off 9 points in a row to close out the first set. Lassalle grew weary of the Bulldog’s offensive assault and her frustration resulted in a 6-3, 6-0 victory for Kaufman.

Playing at the No. 4 spot, Oosterhuis neatly handed Zamot a 6-0, 6-4 defeat and clinched the point for Yale.

The mood in the viewing section grew lighter as Hiniker, Kaufman and Oosterhuis toweled off and cheered on the remaining Bulldogs.

Further cementing herself as one of team’s most promising players, Margaret Purcell ’04 recorded her fourth singles win of the season against Barfuss, 7-6, 6-2. Replacing Goldberg in the top spot for the second time, Purcell began her match listlessly, but she kept herself focused and wrung out her competitor by the start of the second set.

“My goal for every match I play is to win,” Purcell said. “I just hope to continue this season competing with as much concentration and intensity as I have been doing these last couple of weeks, no matter where I am placed in the lineup.”

White and Karlyn Martin also dispatched of their Pirate foes.

“We just came out here to take care of business,” Skorupka said. “Our plan was to beat [Seton Hall] respectfully and get out. We successfully accomplished that today.”

The Bulldogs return to the courts when they host Syracuse Mar. 2.