The gymnastics team conceded its first-ever ECAC Championship to William and Mary last week after a James Madison coach discovered a clerical error on the official scoresheet taken from the March 24 tournament. The revised results show William and Mary earned 192.825 points, besting Yale’s 192.725 tally — the closest margin in the sport’s 17-year history.

According to Eli captain Lisa Crowley ’01, one of the coaches from James Madison reported the error a few days after the competition, but the judges did not take action. Yale and William and Mary are the only two schools affected by the change. James Madison retained its third-place finish.

Crowley said Eli head coach Barbara Tonry notified the team of the discrepancy April 2, and that members of the team later met with Athletics Director Tom Beckett and Associate Athletic Director Colleen Lim to discuss the situation. Crowley said the NCAA has a 10-hour statute of limitations in matters like this, but since the ECAC Championship was not a national meet, that statute did not apply.

Despite losing the title, Crowley remained proud of the team’s season.

“It was kind of heartbreaking when we found out the news, but we all agreed to offer WIlliam and Mary the trophy,” she said. “Regardless, we had a great meet, and it was the performance of our lives. It would have been much easier to go up to second place the first time around. It was probably my most exciting [year] here, and I can’t think of a better way to go out. … I’m glad to finish on a high note.”

— YDN Staff