Clara Gillespie ’01, Katherine Myers ’01 and Kate Flatley ’01 have managed to translate the bond of friendship they share in their High Street apartment to leadership and winning play on the lacrosse field.

The trio, which has lived together for the past two years, is part of a strong senior class that also includes Mollie Riker ’01 and captain Liz Gardner ’01.

On the field Gillespie, Myers and Flatley have led the No. 9 Bulldogs to an impressive 5-0 early season record — including a 2-0 start in the Ivy League.

The biggest of those wins came last weekend against the No. 11 Dartmouth Big Green, a 13-7 triumph that was Yale’s first over Dartmouth since 1991. Myers recorded a goal and an assist, Flatley a goal and Gillespie an assist in the victory.

“Our Dartmouth win was possibly one of the biggest wins the program has seen in a while,” Gillespie said. “I think our win will give us great confidence going into the next few games.”

The girls concurred that living together for two years and being teammates for four has helped them to become closer and know each other’s games better.

“Because we live together, we are really able to talk things out,” Gillespie said. “We can make sure that we are all on the same page when it comes to the team.”

Gillespie, Myers and Flatley have continued the strong play this year that they showed as juniors.

Gillespie — the team’s assist leader and a playmaker on the attack — has three goals and two assists through five games this year.

Last year, Gillespie, a native of Alexandria, Va., led the team in assists with 22 and also contributed 12 goals. Her 34 points were a career high and third best on the team.

Myers — a standout in the midfield on offense and defense — from Ardsley-on-Hudson, N.Y., has played in every game since she came to Yale. Myers’ sister Anne Myers’ also plays in the Bulldog midfield. Thus far in the 2001 season, the elder Myers has netted four goals and an assist for the Bulldogs. In the previous two seasons she scored a combined 33 goals.

Myers said she has been happy with the performance of the midfielders thus far.

“This year we have a strong, aggressive and fast midfield,” Myers said. “Everyone has stepped up and assumed the role of a leader at both ends.”

Flatley, of Greenwich, has been playing a more defensive role in the midfield this season. But that has not prevented her from continuing to net and assist on goals. Through five games, she has four goals and three assists. Last season she recorded 23 goals, including two five-goal barrages against Brown and Fairfield.

It has not been all goals and assists, though, for the trio. Head coach Amanda O’Leary said the three girls bring great leadership qualities to every game and practice.

“Clara, Kate and Katherine spent a tremendous amount of time building a very cohesive team,” O’Leary said. “I think the fact that they live together is an added bonus, because I know that they talk a lot about lacrosse. They lead by example, and I could not ask for a better group of seniors than we have this year.”

The Bulldogs look to continue their undefeated season this Wednesday as they travel to Fairfield. Myers said she feels confident in the Elis’ chances.

“I think we probably have the most skilled and determined team in my four years at Yale,” Myers said. “I’m excited to show the other schools in the league how far we have come.”