The men’s hockey team fell 5-4 to Harvard in Boston, Mass., Friday in the first game of the ECAC quarterfinals.

Yale broke out early, taking a 1-0 lead six minutes into the game as Hobey Baker candidate Jeff Hamilton ’01 beat Crimson goalie Oliver Jonas with a backhand. But it was the last lead the Bulldogs had in the contest.

The Crimson fought back with two goals in the first period and three more in the second. Harvard’s Kenny Turano scored the game-winner with just over six minutes left in the second period, giving Harvard a 5-3 lead.

Yale’s Luke Earl ’02 — who has notched a goal in his last six contests — scored a power play marker with 18 seconds left in the second stanza to cut the lead to 5-4, but the Elis could not get any closer.

Jonas led the way for the Crimson, making 37 saves, including 14 in the final period. Yale goaltender Dan Lombard ’02 made 21 saves after returning from a punctured lung which held him sidelined last weekend.

Special teams was the difference in the game, as Harvard made the most of their power play opportunities, scoring three times on seven chances. The Elis squandered their man-advantage chances, going only one for seven and failing to score with a two-man advantage midway into the second period.

The best-of-three quarterfinal series continues Saturday at the Bright Hockey Center at 7 p.m. The third game, if necessary, will be played Sunday.