News
Sports
Opinion
Weekend
Magazine
YTV
Blog
CROSSCAMPUS
Dec 25th, 2012
3:48 am
December 25th, 2012 | WEEKEND
A Christmas-y film review

This is a film review from Patrice Bowman, who writes the newly revamped WEEKEND blog column: “The 21st Century through a Monochrome Lens: Re-examining Older Films.” Cinephiles place movies on that high pedestal we call Art. But some films utilize less highfalutin gimmicks to wrangle in more audience members. Some tricks have been absolute busts, […]

Dec 9th, 2012
3:25 pm
December 9th, 2012 | WEEKEND
‘Look out, Haskell, it’s real!’ A Review of ‘Medium Cool’ (1969)

This is a film review from Patrice Bowman, who writes the newly revamped WEEKEND blog column: “The 21st Century through a Monochrome Lens: Re-examining Older Films.” Watch her intro video here. When I’m actually able to watch television, I watch the news about 30 percent of the time. (The other 70 percent, I watch older […]

Nov 20th, 2012
12:54 am
November 20th, 2012 | WEEKEND
‘Very, very manic indeed’: A Review of ‘Silver Linings Playbook’

“Silver Linings Playbook,” from off-Hollywood-center director David O. Russell, revels in its depictions of how life snaps between cringing and laughter. Yes, it will make you uncomfortable, but that’s only because it’s honest and daring in its pursuit of dramatic-comedic intensity. Due to a violent episode fueled by his bipolar disorder, Pat Solatano (Bradley Cooper) […]

Nov 18th, 2012
11:24 pm
November 18th, 2012 | WEEKEND
Sex and Film at Yale: A Review of “The Sessions”

This is a film review from Patrice Bowman, who writes the newly revamped WEEKEND blog column: “The 21st Century through a Monochrome Lens: Re-examining Older Films.” Although I can do without gratuitous sex scenes in my flicks, I congratulate “The Sessions,” an independent film by Ben Lewin, for attempting to do what many mainstream Hollywood pictures don’t […]

Oct 22nd, 2012
9:42 pm
October 22nd, 2012 | WEEKEND
Der Fuhrer Amerikaner: A Film Review

This is the first piece in Patrice Bowman’s newly-revamped WEEKEND blog column: “The 21st Century through a Monochrome Lens: Re-examining Older Films.” Ever wonder what would happen if Barack Obama did away with democracy and became a dictator? He could finally achieve his dream of socialism (or fascism or whatever!) Alas, there are unlikely to […]

Featured Posts
All the ways Yale is just like Hogwarts.
In an ordinary bar, magic
The art of the screw