As of yesterday, several Yalies are set to receive recognition for their work on several of the most popular television series from last year. The Television Academy, which announced the nominations for the 66th annual Primetime Emmy Awards, included the names of at least seven Yale alumni in its list of nominees.

Jodie Foster ’85, who has appeared in over 70 films and T.V. shows as an actress, was recognized for her work as a director by earning a nomination in the ‘Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series’ category for directing an episode of the series, ‘Orange is the New Black.’

Foster explained the differences in her acting and directing interests in an interview for Deadline Hollywood, noting that her directing style specializes in blending drama with comedy.

“As a director, dramedy is what I do,” Foster said. “It’s not who I am as an actor. The genre requires a very specific skill in terms of recognizing what is quirky and perverse, and to be moved by it.”

The ‘Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series’ category featured a particularly strong contingency of Yalies, as three of the six nominees were alums of the Yale School of Drama.

Paul Giamatti ’89 DRA ’94, who plays the character Harold Levinson in the series ‘Downton Abbey,’ was among these nominees, as were Reginald Cathey DRA ’81 and Dylan Baker DRA ’85, who were recognized for their roles on ‘House of Cards’ and ‘The Good Wife’ respectively.

Other nominated actors and actresses include Angela Bassett ’80 DRA ’83 in the ‘Outstanding Supporting Actress in a TV Miniseries or Movie’ category for her work in ‘American Horror Story: Coven’ and Kate Burton ’82 in the ‘Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama’ category for playing the role of Sally Langston in ‘Scandal.’

Playwright and activist Larry Kramer ’57 received a nomination in the ‘Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special’ category for adapting his 1985 play ‘The Normal Heart’ into a TV-Movie, which aired on HBO in May.

ERIC XIAO