Checking in. The Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) will be on campus on Oct. 2-3 as part of its effort to monitor Yale’s Title IX compliance following the “voluntary resolution agreement” in June 2012 that ended the 15-month investigation into Yale’s sexual culture. As per the terms of the agreement, the University will continue to uphold its updated grievance procedures and inform the community of available sexual misconduct resources, as well as report to the OCR until May 2014.

YCC’s CC. The Yale College Council has launched an official “campus calendar,” a website that aims to synthesize campus activities including club meetings, Master’s Teas, special events from academic departments and sporting activities. The calendar — which came with its fair share of pomp and circumstance, including several campus-wide emails and a YouTube video announcing the project — color codes activities by type and, as of press time, averaged four to 11 events per day.

Replay. For those interested in following the championship men’s hockey team that stunned the college hockey world last April after defeating Quinnipiac 4-0 and clinching the NCAA Division I title, single game tickets went on sale on Monday. They are available online at the Yale Bulldogs website. The team’s first game is on Oct. 19 against Ontario Tech.

Great oraters. A recent article from The Atlantic asked prominent people about their opinions on the “greatest speech” ever, historical or fiction — and a number of Yalies contributed their thoughts. “Great speeches can inspire nations, armies, and teams to win against the odds … when things seem hopeless,” said Jackson Institute fellow General Stanley McChrystal, adding that his favorite speech came from Bluto in “Animal House.” On a slightly different vein, Sterling Professor Harold Bloom GRD ’56 pointed to the seventh and last of Hamlet’s soliloquies.

Thinking aloud. In his latest edition of “Notes from Woodbridge Hall,” University President Peter Salovey discussed the arts and culture at Yale, reflecting on the “amazingness” of the University and citing School of Music Dean Robert Blocker’s convocation urging students to “rediscover wonder” as an example.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1962 A freshman survey found that a majority of freshmen consider Yale an “awesome” place, particularly for “studying, playing lacrosse or drinking.” Overall, students said they found Yale to be a “good, tough” school and with an “awesome reputation.”

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS