Susan Sellers GRD ’94, the Yale School of Art’s senior critic in graphic design, will join the staff of the Metropolitan Museum on June 24 as its first head of design.

In this capacity, Sellers will work to “cultivate the role of design throughout the institution, overseeing the Museum’s Design Department, which is comprised of specialities in installation, graphic and lighting design,” the museum wrote in a press release on June 6.

The Met’s director and chief executive officer Thomas Campbell recognized Sellers’ history of creative work.

“Susan is highly respected in her field for her innovation and collaborative spirit,” Campbell said in his announcement. “Her design work is both elegant and strategic, and I look forward to having her develop a design vision for the Met that speaks to Museum’s diverse collections and audiences.”

At Yale, Sellers has been responsible for creating the design program’s thesis curriculum, as well as overseeing its admissions, lectures, workshops and faculty appointments. She also teaches a range of studio classes, ranging from typography to theories of material culture.

Sellers is currently the creative director at 2×4, a global design consultancy in New York City. She founded the firm in 1994 with Michael Rock and Georgie Stout.

YANAN WANG