October 31st, 2012 | University

The top 6 Halloween costumes of 2012

Dean Mary Miller reportedly went around asking people whether they would attend the royal wedding with her at last year's Halloween party.
Dean Mary Miller reportedly went around asking people whether they would attend the royal wedding with her at last year's Halloween party. Photo by Esther Zuckerman.

Halloween can be a high-pressure holiday. With a whole week full of social events — from the Yale Symphony Orchestra’s Fall Show to Pierson’s Inferno — it can be stressful to think up a list of costumes that strike just the right balance between clever and cute.

Cross Campus has your back. Check out our top six Halloween costumes for 2012:

1) Sandy from Grease

Have you got chills multiplying? Maybe it’s the gusty winds blowing off of this week’s storm—or maybe it’s just time to celebrate Halloween with a Grease-themed costume. Remember the days when you dressed up as a Pink Lady? Every costume store sells this classic— a pre-packaged poodle skirt and collared blouse. But if ever there was a time to celebrate Sandy, it’s right now. Together, she and University Vice President Linda Lorimer gave us two extra days of fall break and food rations hefty enough to keep dorms stocked for weeks, so whip out your 1950s hair-bow in tribute to the most popular girl on campus.

2) PSY

Getting tired of the dance moves you see every Wednesday at Toad’s? This Halloween, maybe it’s time to impress all your friends by learning to Gangnam Style. In fact, don’t even bother learning the dance move. Just grab a flashy white tux and some sunglasses and bam — you’re basically a Korean pop sensation.

3) Maine Lobsterman

As we’ve said before, this is the costume of the season. Coming out of this week’s storm, it’s legitimate to worry that your Halloween night might end up spoiled by rain. Worried about having your costume wrecked by the weather? Forget dress to impress — this year, the ideal costume might be a Maine lobsterman. Just grab the biggest poncho you can find and some oversized rubber boots. And don’t forget to end the night at Miya’s for some lobster sushi. Who doesn’t love a costume that comes with a mandatory snack?

4). Celebrity Couple: The Levins

It’s University President Richard Levin’s final year as Yale’s top dog. The Pundits have offered their farewell in humorous emails sent to the Yale community. Costumed students will say their goodbyes at his annual Halloween party tonight. But why don’t you really show your appreciation for Levin’s 20 years of service with a costume tribute? Celebrity couples are always a trendy Halloween dress-up option, but Angie and Brad are getting old. Extra points if you get the Jane Levin pixie haircut.

5) Binders Full of Women

With six days to the election, everyone is talking about Gov. Mitt Romney’s big gaffe in the presidential debate. This costume takes some handiwork, but the results are worth it. Find a large piece of cardboard and cover it with magazine cutouts of women. Wrap it around you and you’ll have your own life-size binder. It’s a political statement, and it says “NO” to your typical sexist Halloween outfit.

6) Mean Girls Mouse, duh!

If you’re rushing to pull together a costume and you’re tempted to just grab those trusty old mouse ears so you can be Karen from “Mean Girls,” don’t worry. It’s understandable—you’re busy, you’re stressed, and costumes are not at the top of your priority list. But if you’re going to dress cliché, at least be ironic about it. Dress up as the lead singer of Modest Mouse and walk around belting the lyrics to “King Rat.” Or make an original “Mean Girls” reference and dress up as Kevin the Mathlete. Bonus points if you learn his rap.

Correction: Nov. 1, 2012

An earlier version of this article misspelled “Gangnam.” The News sincerely regrets this error and offers its apologies to Korean pop star PSY.

• terryhughes

So “everybody” is talking about Romney’s non-gaffe about “binders” instead of the documented fact that the Obama White House systematically pays its female employees far less than its male employees? Not my “everyone,” and since Romney rose in the polls after his non-gaffe, it looks like my “everyone” is in the majority. But I don’t read a Halloween review for off base, unfocused political asides. This article’s political non sequitur shows Jay Leno’s Halloween costume suggestion applies at the YDN: Just wear an Obama bottom and go as a journalist!

• ystudent06511

this is straight up factually inaccurate

• terryhughes

And this reply is just straight up fact free and unreasoned: The “I don’t like where this leads” equates to “4 Pinocchios” approach best kept in the elementary school play yard where it comes from.

• terryhughes

Politifact reports:

For months, conservative bloggers and news outlets have been touting the statistic that women working for the White House earn 18 percent less than men do. The statistic stems from calculations published in April 2012 by the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative online publication.

“According to the 2011 annual report on White House staff, female employees earned a median annual salary of $60,000, which was about 18 percent less than the median salary for male employees ($71,000),” the Beacon wrote. Put another way, that means women in the White House earned 85 percent of what the men earned. The statistic got a second round of attention as the discussion of women’s pay disparities increased during the Democratic convention (where Ledbetter spoke) and in the debates.

When we downloaded the same statistics from the White House website and ran the numbers, we came up with similar results — $63,240 for women and $72,876 for men. So women in the White House, by our calculations, earn 87 percent of what their male colleagues at the White House do, not far off from what the Free Beacon found. (Some of the variation may be explained by differences in determining the sex of the 454 employees on the list. We were able to determine the sex of all but 18 employees.)

The gender pay gap we found provides support for the Romney mailer’s claim that “even women in Barack Obama’s White House are earning less than men.”

• HighStreet2010

Did you control for anything, or are you just presenting the most slanted possible interpretation?

From the same article:

“We found 36 titles for full employees held by more than one person, including at least one man and woman. Of these 36 job categories, there was no difference in pay between men and women in 22 job categories, affecting 121 employees. In another six categories affecting 29 employees, the highest earner in the category was a woman who out-earned at least one man.

In only eight cases affecting 22 employees — in other words, a small fraction of all employees — was the highest earner a man who out-earned at least one woman. In a large majority of job categories, there was no salary edge for men. And even in the cases where men did have an edge, it was a small edge — the lowest-paid women mostly earned between 92 percent and 98 percent of what the top-paid men did. ”

Can’t wait until the election is over just so the level of worthless trolling will subside

• terryhughes

I repeat (or, rather, I repeat the Politifact finding):

“The gender pay gap we found provides support for the Romney mailer’s claim that ‘even women in Barack Obama’s White House are earning less than men.’”

In other words, it is “straight up factually inaccurate” to say that original post is “straight up factually inaccurate.”

Can’t wait until the election is over just so the level of worthless confusion by agitated liberals of facts with their own agenda items will subside.

And, by the way, the Yale Daily News is not some left-wing site like Daily Kos. That kind of site has “trolls” in the comments. Those who disagree with you here are not “trolls.” But then, why would someone who can’t tell an objective fact from her own opinion be expected to know the difference between an open news forum and her comfortable agitprop sites?

• yalengineer

Lying with statistics is a great skill.

• terryhughes

But empty snarling is not, especially when it means nothing more than not liking the facts.

• terryhughes

Another observation from Jay Leno:

“Economists say rebuilding after Hurricane Sandy will give the ailing construction industry a huge boost. In fact, the storm has already created more jobs than President Obama has.”

Write a big mess of arbitrary, tautological pseudo-economics equations on a big piece of construction paper, throw it over your head with a couple of eyeholes … and go with an intoxicating “stimulant” in your hand as one of Obama’s phantom jobs! But watch out for the All Saints hangover, it’s a doozy with this one!

• yalemarxist

The best halloween costume is to go naked. Revolt against the fashion-industrial complex that tells women that they must externalize their beauty through consumption!

• terryhughes

And it doesn’t end at the Obama White House:

The Daily Caller asked Pelosi about a report in the Washington Free Beacon that revealed that women working for Senate Democrats in 2011 had an average salary of $60,877, whereas male staffers made about $6,500 more.

Pelosi chose not to condemn the Democratic senators, claiming that it is “another world.”

“When I was speaker, I was [the] highest paid person on Capitol Hill and the women took great joy in that,” she said, making an apparent defense of the current pay disparity.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/31/pelosi-gives-senate-democrats-who-pay-women-less-a-pass-scolds-companies/#ixzz2B2oLMzhw

• Goldsmith11

Halloween Costume #7: Terry Hughes. Walk around all night frowning, sober and alone. Be sure to interrupt the light-hearted conversations of passing revelers by shouting political rhetoric in their faces.

• terryhughes

Well, if your going to do it, at least get the basics right. Yes, by all means stay sober. But I prefer telling jokes (Leno has some good ones) in venues where I’m invited to do it. Of course, if you’re challenged by some thin-skinned, heavy-hearted shouting that you’re “straight up factually inaccurate”, you’ll have to make up your own mind: chalk it up to brain failure from booze-decompensation or offer a simple correction. They’ll likely reject if they’re already illegally drunk, thin-skinned and liberal – like “everybody” they know.

Or you could shine a projection of yourself on others with some dim, portable device, and go as “Goldsmith11!”

• YalePirate

gagman style?