Welcome back, Yale. Second semester starts now, though you would not know it from temperatures in the high 50s over the weekend and the flowers blooming in Branford. For the winter lovers among us, there’s a chance of snow showers tonight

¡Goodbye! Salsa. ¡Ay! Salsa, the High Street restaurant beloved for its Latin cuisine, is leaving its High Street location, which had been emptied Sunday afternoon. Its owner could not be reached for comment Sunday, but a construction worker said a new store will take ¡Ay! Salsa’s place.

Hello, munchies. Insomnia Cookies, a bakery started at the Unversity of Pennsylvania, opened its Chapel Street doors last Wednesday. Insomnia stays open until 3 a.m. and will deliver cookies to your dorm (or your apartment, or Bass) until 2 a.m.

Time for some half-yards. Historic Chapel Street pub Richter’s is slated to re-open under new management in early 2012. Its new owner, John Ginetti, said the bar will be open “before the snow melts,” according to the New Haven Independent.

Tiger cub roams free. Law School professor Amy Chua returned to the Wall Street Journal last month to tell the world she does not apply her Tiger Mother parenting strategies to her daughter, Sophia, now that she is a freshman at Harvard, because the Tiger strategy works best on younger children.

Rebel with a cause. Russian political activist, influential blogger and Yale World Fellow Alexei Navalny was released from prison in December after spending 15 days in jail for interfering with traffic. Though he was floated as a possible candidate in March’s president elections, he did not register in time.

Presidential powers. Ernesto Zedillo GRD ’81, the director of the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization and the former president of Mexico, claimed that his status as a former head of state makes him immune from a lawsuit alleging he covered up the massacre of 45 Mexican citizens in 1997.

Hot new study spot. The Center for Science and Social Science Information opened its doors last Tuesday, providing a new home for the science library, social science library and StatLab in the basement of Kline Biology Tower. It includes a 24 hour study-space.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1963 The federal government announces a grant of $2 million for Yale’s new $4.2 million Laboratory for Epidemiology and Public Health at College Street and South Frontage Road.