University | 3:40 am | September 28, 2011 | By Yale Daily News

Cross Campus: 9.28.11

Photo by Natalie Wolff.

Cat and Morse

A tabby cat has made himself a regular visitor at Morse College. Named Wally after Morse’s mascot, the cat has made a habit of socializing with students and accepting their food from the dining hall. But now administrators have indicated that they will have to bring in animal control if he is not claimed shortly, and students fear that Wally would be taken to a shelter and possibly euthanized. So Morsels are getting the word out to find him a new home.

Two robberies occurred Tuesday on or close to campus, according to emails from Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins. First, around 3:15 a.m., a man showed a graduate student in front of the School of Art a knife, taking the student’s cellphone and “a small amount of cash.” Then, another graduate student was punched by a man who stole his bicycle around Temple and Elm streets at about 12:55 p.m.

Discount. Students get a discount usually ranging between 5 percent and 10 percent at the Apple Store with their student ID, according to an email from the Yale College Council.

Home run. In his first start as catcher in the major leagues, Ryan Lavarnway ’09 hit two home runs to lead the Boston Red Sox past the Baltimore Orioles by one run and keep them tied for the American League wild card.

More thievery. Timothy Dwight is experiencing a series of thefts. Items including a “nice watch,” an iPad and “a big TV” have been stolen from the college, Master Jeffrey Brenzel wrote in an email to students.

The Yale Concert Band will premiere a new piece commissioned in memory of Michele Dufault ’11 at its first concert of the season Oct. 14. Dufault died in a lab accident last school year. The piece is called “Elegy, Prayer and Hymn: In Memoriam Michele Dufault.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1964 The University’s newly organized Army ROTC Battalion opens its fall season on the Armory drill field. Seventeen seniors are commissioned as cadets.

• phantomllama

Why do the Yale administration fight so vigorously to destroy everything that is a little unusual (and consequently wonderful) on campus? The Morse Cat is a delightful creature that isn’t harming anyone. It should be sheltered from the needle-happy Animal ‘Control’ that seems to be a constant feature in this country.

Please, leave it alone. I get the feeling that the majority of Morse students care far more about the cat than the ugly ‘Lipstick’ sculpture that wastes space in the courtyard…

• Contributor

Yale can’t afford to break the law. A stray is sadly a stray, and talk of euthanasia is just inflammatory. All students emails involving the cat have said, “and these shelters might euthanize. We don’t know.”

• uncommons

I heard Vivian Le is prepared to sue Yale the second the cat scratches someone…

• acnishimura

Crisis averted! Due to an intense student campaign on behalf of Wally the Morse Cat, several potential adopters came forward in less than twenty four hours. A lovely home has been secured with a local vet, and she is also going to cover his medical care. Hooray!

As for talk of euthanasia being simply “inflammatory,” there is definitely a “kill shelter” here in the New Haven area (i.e. the New Haven Animal Shelter). If Wally had been placed into that shelter (which I believe would have been the most likely outcome of capture by animal control), he would have been at risk of euthanasia. While adoption rates are relatively high at the New Haven shelter (approximately 75% of their animals are adopted), there still would still have been a very real possibility of euthanasia for our little friend.

Happily, this possibility has been avoided. If all goes well, Wally will be in his new home by this time tomorrow! :)

• phantomllama

Wonderful news!

• Pingback: Link Builders

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: motor trade insurance at kerbcraft.org.uk

• Pingback: free original soundtrack download

• Pingback: volvo V90

• Pingback: slot machine bar gioco gratis

• Pingback: Meme Upload

• Pingback: casino ohne einzahlung

• Pingback: Pirater un compte Facebook

• Pingback: Home Website Builder 2.0

• Pingback: Menschen

• Pingback: lavoro da casa confezionamento milano