Uncategorized | 6:51 pm | June 2, 2011 | By Everett Rosenfeld

Clark, Le family members to address court at sentencing

Raymond Clark III, who pleaded guilty to the murder of Annie Le GRD ’13 in March, will speak publicly about his crimes for the first time Friday.

Clark will be officially sentenced to 44 years in prison on Friday as part of a plea bargain announced in March. Before he receives his sentence, Clark plans to speak to the court, said Beth Merkin, one of Clark’s defense attorneys. Several of Le’s family members, and Clark’s father Raymond Clark II are also slated to address the court, Merkin said. Lawyers for the defense and prosecution will also speak briefly at the sentencing hearing which will begin at noon in courtroom 6A of the New Haven Superior Court, Merkin said.

Le’s fiancé, Jonathan Widawsky, may also address the court, Merkin said.

In March, as part of a plea bargain, Clark admitted that he killed Le and pleaded guilty under the Alford Doctrine to attempted sexual assault. This plea allowed Clark to acknowledge that the state had enough evidence for a sexual assault conviction without admitting that he committed the act.

Merkin said that she expects the court proceedings tomorrow to last about an hour.

• Sad_Randy

What could this monster possibly say to make any difference to anyone affected by this unacceptable and unforgivable act? What could he say to Annie’s brother, Chris who treasured his big sister’s accomplishments? What could he say to her mother and father who left Vietnam for a better life here in the US? What could he say to an aunt and uncle who helped raise Annie to be the incredible woman she grew into? What could he say to her little cousins who will hardly be able to remember who Annie was? What could he say to the multitude of professors who actually looked up to Annie? What could he say to Annie’s incredible friends who were all looking forward to her wedding day to share the joy which comes with such an event? And what can he say to Jonathan? What can he say to this young man who had his love, his future, and his life stolen from him?

He wouldn’t come forward when the police questioned him and stalked him, so certainly it is too late to have any second thoughts. He should have asked himself why he was doing this horrific act before it was too late. rc3 keep your freaking mouth shut and live in misery for as short of a life as possible!

• student

Today will be a big day for us all around here. An emotional day. Today marks the beginning of re-building our lives, of “moving on” in a sense, even though this will never leave us. We all know how impossible it has been to move on while still getting news of this, having this constantly come up and stir our deepest emotions. His presence in our lives and thoughts has been crippling at times, and I can only speak for myself, but I will be glad to see the back of his head as he heads back to the holding cell where he awaits being carted away to jail forever, well, or 44 years, which is long enough for me considering what we are avoiding in its stead (a trial).

Hopefully this will be the end of it, and everyone can adjust to a new normal, a normal without Annie, but a normal that includes living a life that would make her proud.

I’ll remember Annie today, and not in sadness (hopefully). I will not be attending court, but I will be there in spirit, and sending as much love and strength as I can to her family and fiance as they face their worst fears. They know how much we love and support them, and that we are all with them today. God Bless them!!!!

P.S. Randy– I understand what you are saying, but what he has to say doesn’t matter. He will probably say how sorry he is for what he has done and plead for the forgiveness of her family. However, nothing will take away his grief, now that he knows what he has destroyed. I really don’t doubt that he is sorry, and wishes he could take it back, because that is the nature of a coward. He is not a sociopath with no feelings, but a coward who cannot control his feelings. And he will pay the ultimate price for his actions in both this life and in the next.

RIP Annie… She was so loved…

• winteralfs

RIP Annie… She was so loved…

Powerful, and nicely put. This case has haunted me for two years now, and it won’t leave my mind or heart anytime soon. As the judge said, closure is impossible. Annie Le’s story did change my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG2_NI-vZDo