Uncategorized | 6:29 pm | May 10, 2011 | By Alon Harish

Malloy lays off thousands

Layoff notices went out to 4,742 state employees today.

After negotiations between Gov. Dannel Malloy and union officials failed to produce an agreement over cost-saving labor concessions, Malloy said he was forced to resort to layoffs. For months now, Malloy’s administration has been in talks with state employee union officials to try to secure $1 billion in concessions to help plug the state’s $3.2 billion deficit.

“The state employee representatives have thus far not offered enough,” Malloy said in a statement.

The layoffs will result in $455 million in savings to the state, which is preparing to cut another $545 million in spending.

Members of the Malloy administration and the State Employees Bargaining Agent Coalition (SEBAC) negotiated in to the early morning hours on Tuesday, and continued Tuesday despite the layoffs.

“I want to say to the people of Connecticut that this is not the road I want to go down,” Malloy said in the statement. “But I have no choice. I promised to deliver a budget that is balanced with no gimmicks, and I will.”

SEBAC is disappointed with the governor’s decision to begin layoffs, said spokesman Larry Dorman in a statement.

“We have said time and again that laying off workers, whether in the public or private sector, and slashing vital public services will prove disastrous to our shared goal of creating jobs and rebuilding the middle class — especially at a time when our 9.1% unemployment rate is already higher than the national average,” Dorman said.

Malloy said the additional spending cuts will be spread across state government and will likely result in further layoffs.

• buybuyto

The best website: http://www.doestrade.com
    Belive you must like it!New season!Dress up!

• dalet5770

Everybody loves to talk the talk. But when we the people in an effort to form a more perfect Onion applying mental cruelty to physical maladies as is commonly done in CT. We must recognize that Mental Cruelty is a platform we can no longer tolerate. Governments underfund oversight while medicine whittles away the hours carving up cadavers while Social Services firmly holds the mantle as the official whipping boy of the impoverished. Lets lay off all those who are doing time in our prisons and hospitals and send them a retroactive check for a living wage until we have hearings on UN- American activities