March 30th, 2011 | Uncategorized

Thursday’s Buzz: 3.31.11

THE NEWS

• Dog days have come to Yale Law School. A staple at hospitals, nursing homes and retirement homes since World War II, therapy dogs have begun to appear on college campuses, providing an outlet for stressed students at schools including the University of California, San Diego, Tufts University and — as of this Monday — Yale. The Law School’s pilot dog therapy program was announced in a March 10 email from librarian Blair Kauffman, who said students would be allowed to check out the certified “library therapy” dog, named Monty, for three days beginning March 28. He added that he hoped the half-hour visits with Monty would decrease student stress.
  • In line with its peer institutions,Yale’s admission rate dropped this year — from 7.5 percent in the last admissions cycle to 7.35 percent this year. Yale is making a total of 2,006 offers of admission to the record 27,282 students who applied this year, Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeffrey Brenzel said. Yale’s target class size will stay consistent this year, and Brenzel attributed the decreased admit rate to the rise in applications this year.
  • For two hours Wednesday evening, over a thousand people floodeddowntown streets in a rally designed to show solidarity for the city’s unemployed and working class. Protesters marched downtown Wednesday as part of the “We Are One” rally, jointly organized by labor unions, clergy, and other activists. While police officers blocked off streets, marchers carried signs and shouted slogans demanding better jobs, railing against Wall Street banks, and criticizing City Hall’s demands of its employees.

THE WEATHER

High 44 degrees, low of 30 degrees, rain and snow.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Waffle Bar

Lunch: Cream Of Roasted Tomato Soup, Wonton Soup, Pizza with Pepperoni & Mozzarella, Dal Gobi, Ginger-Scallion Stir-Fried Chicken, Pizza With Mozzarella, Basmati Rice, Peas, Chicken & Mesclun with Creamy Tarragon Dressing, Orecchiette Pasta with Zucchini & Mozzarella, Fattoush Salad, Organic Plain Brownie, Butterscotch Cookie

Dinner: Braised Lentils With Kale, Pappardelle With Sausage Mozzarella & Sauce, Chicken Tikka Masala, Butternut Squash Patties, Jasmine Rice, Baked Zucchini With Herbs, Chicken & Mesclun with Creamy Tarragon Dressing, Orecchiette Pasta with Zucchini & Mozzarella, Fattoush Salad, Boston Cream Cupcakes

In Commons

Breakfast: Grits, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Corned Beef Hash, Potato Pancakes

• dalet5770

Headlines – Obama administration offers rules to deliver care to older Americans -

Great idea . But I’m afraid you’re forgetting a fairly big factor in this proposal; the intense, deeply-rooted discrimination that occurs in every facet of life for people with disabilities, including employment.. For 40 years Doctors could not diagnose a deviated septum and a mastoid problem within the ear that together caused a mental health like infirmity – The bouts of vertigo were persistent and the treatment was more like Hospice care. It is safe to say that there will be no capitulation in my case without civil litigation and the forty years of suffering that make up this oversight will have a shorter half life than the prescriptions I was farced into taking – assuring that justice is never served and my case will never see the light of day in the courts