THE NEWS

• University officers are reviewing a new calendar for Yale College, which would institute a five-day fall break and shorter reading and finals weeks starting in 2012. John Meeske, associated dean for student organizations and physical resources, said the three main objectives of the new calendar are to add a fall break, even out the semesters so both have 64 class days (currently there are 63 in the fall and 65 in the spring) and allow more time for freshman orientation.
  • Now in its fourth year,Magic Week New Haven is held during the last seven days of October and ends on Halloween this week, the anniversary of the death of Harry Houdini, the famous magician who died in 1926. Eight of the nine performances, featuring “Wizard Jim,” “Cyril the Sorcerer,” and “Magic Dan and Snowball,” are free and five are held at public libraries.
  • For people who thought Russian drama began and ended with Chekhov,the Yale Cabaret presents a show that will make them think again. The production — a pair of new Russian plays — is the culmination of a 10-day residency for four Russian artists sponsored by the Yale School of Drama and CEC Artslink’s Open World Cultural Leaders program, which is a program dedicated to bringing Russian artists from all disciplines to the United States for short-term residencies.

THE WEATHER

High of 55 degrees, low of 35 degrees, partly sunny

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Waffle Bar, Ultimate Butter Coffee Cake with Organic Ingredients

Lunch: Lobster Bisque, Roasted Chicken Thighs, Adobo Roasted Chicken Thighs, Garlicky Garden Vegetable Rotini, Fried Calamari Bar, Tuscan Tuna Melt on Focaccia, Ricotta Prosciutto & Arugula Sandwich, Basmati Rice, Fresh Broccoli Florets

Dinner: Salmon with Melon Salsa, Pork Burgers, Fried Calamari Bar, Herb & Garlic Roasted Cauliflower, Warmed Brownie-Walnut Pudding

In Commons

Breakfast: Maple Oatmeal Bar, Waffle Bar, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Extra Thick French Toast, Sweet Potato Home Fries, Ultimate Butter Coffee Cake with Organic Ingredients

Lunch: Lobster Bisque, Fried Calamari Bar, Tuscan Tuna Melt on Focaccia, Adobong Sataw with Green Beans & Seitan, Adobo Roasted Chicken Thighs, Cheeseburger, Shoestring French Fries, Sautéed Mushrooms, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Organic Tomato Sauce, Greens & Tofu, Dragon Chicken, Pork Dumpling, Pork Dumpling, Basmati Rice, Fresh Broccoli Florets, Israeli Couscous with Summer Squash Salad

YALE DAILY NEWS