News | 7:03 pm | March 25, 2010 | By Colin Ross

Yale Police Chief Perrotti to retire

Yale Police Chief James Perrotti speaks at the department's Citizen's Police Academy last year.
Yale Police Chief James Perrotti speaks at the department's Citizen's Police Academy last year. Photo by Colin Ross.

Message from Chief Perrotti: I’m retiring.

James A. Perrotti, who has spent 37 years in the Yale Police Department, the last 12 of which were as its chief, will step down at the end of June, the University announced Thursday.

Perrotti’s tenure as chief has seen successes and challenges: large reductions in campus crime and the murders of two Yale students. Administrators said Perrotti transformed the YPD through improved technology, training and professionalism.

Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith, who oversees campus security, said Perrotti has made the YPD what it is today.

“He’s just one of the best,” she said. “His influence will be felt here for years and years to come.”

Highsmith said the University will release plans for the transition to new leadership in the next few weeks.

For more, see tomorrow’s News.

• Girl,gold watchandeverything

Well, we hate to see you go. It’s been real. Not that it’s any different than any other major University as far as crime goes. But does’nt 37 years as a member of Yales’ Police Department mean he has witnessed 4 Yale students killed ?
    Gary Stein,Christian Prince,Susanne Jovin,Annie Le
    Has Yale modified it’s in-house phone system , so they can trace a call made from within it’s system, or from anywhere on campus ?

• Yale ’08

We’ll miss you and your emails Chief!

@1 Yes, he definitely saw four murders as a Yale police officer, but only two as chief.

• Y ’10

“Message from Chief Perrotti: I’m retiring”

Colin Ross, I love you.

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: casino mit bonus ohne einzahlung ohne download

• Pingback: doorknob capacitors

• Pingback: toms shoes