News | 1:35 pm | February 3, 2010 | By Vivian Yee

New round of cuts to affect academics

The University will cut into core academic programs and lay off more staff starting this year as it seeks to recover a budget deficit of more than $100 million, University President Richard Levin and Provost Peter Salovey announced in an e-mail to faculty and staff today.

Though last year’s budget reductions closed more than half of the original $350 million gap, Yale’s departments will have to cut more deeply this spring as they finalize their budgets for the upcoming fiscal year. Last year’s cutbacks mostly hit entertainment and travel funds, but this year, everything from the salaries of top administrators to the number of graduate students will be adjusted to save money.

“We know we are asking you to make difficult choices and decisions, but we are optimistic that if we can achieve the reductions outlined here, we will have created a stable and sustainable budget for the University,” Levin and Salovey wrote in the memo.

In addition to adjusting salaries and benefits for Yale employees, the new budget policy calls for reducing the number of new Graduate School students by up to 15 percent, rolling back funding for research and outreach programs, and decreasing International Summer Award funds for students studying abroad.

Besides asking central units to slash expenses by 7.5 percent plus an additional proportion based on the availability of their own restricted endowment funds, Levin and Salovey said self-supporting professional schools and programs such as the Yale Center for British Art will receive 13.4 percent less endowment funding than before.

Departments will not be able to make these cuts without eliminating some staff positions, Levin and Salovey warned.

“We are, of course, hoping to keep staff reductions as low as possible, but some will be necessary,” they wrote.

Working with the Provost’s Office, deans, directors, department chairs and business managers will begin the process of preparing a 2010-’11 budget this week.

For more coverage, see tomorrow’s News.

• super

About cutting back on grad students: There certainly are far, far more grad students at Yale than will ever get jobs in academia. BUT!, even now there are not enough grad students enrolled to act as TAs for Yale College; each and every semester dozens and dozens of non-Yale people are brought on to TA. When will those with the only opinion that matters (undergrads) recognize to this erosion of their university and ask for change? Tolerate a cut of the grad school but demand that the administration hire many, many more professors to teach undergrads.

• Staff

How about early retirement/buyout options?

• b

WOMP WOMP, yale

• Haydon

#1, what a lot of twaddle! Undergraduates are not the only ones with opinions that matter. In so far as Yale is a -university-, a place that awards the Ph.D. degree, the opinions of graduate students matter very much. Much of the reputation of the institution rests upon the research and achievements of its graduate students.

• @#4

Yes, we’re a University, but if it comes down to it Yale needs to honor its supposed commitment to undergraduates. Cuts should occur outside Yale College first.

• Realist

Just close Yale College, it’s a waste of money anyway. The gold chalices and such can be sold on eBay.

• @#5

Why should that be so? Does it not have a commitment to the students in the graduate and professional schools to? The college is only one part of this institution. And, frankly, it is not the place where the boundaries of knowledge are pushed back, discoveries made, and cures found.

• Yale10

@ 1,5:

Sorry, I’m with #4. Our opinions don’t matter … We’re a University, not a college. That’s why some of us came here, too.

The first things to go should be all the luxuries of the residential colleges. The brie, the wine, the subsidized butteries …

• @1@5

Indeed, I’m sick of hearing over-privileged undergrads with a sense of entitlement complaining about graduate students. It’s great that you got into Yale College, but graduate students are recruited and paid to come to Yale. We push the boundaries of our fields and create knowledge. Your BA from Yale will never, ever, compare to my Ph.D. from Yale, so please get some perspective on life.

• Yikes

See, this is what happens when you tell high school seniors that Yale is primarily an undergraduate learning institution and college seniors that it’s primarily a research university. In reality, of course, it is primarily neither.

Having seen the letter, I’d say the laundry list of cuts Levin lays out makes the thing worth posting in its entirety. The tone, and the nature of the faculty/staff cuts in particular, makes it clear that immediate financial concerns aren’t the only reason for many of these changes.

• @1

Yeah, good luck with that. It’s much much cheaper to have graduate students teach than to hire more professors. Let me guess, you’re a GESO member, right?

• anonymous

How about having those famous professors teach more and perhaps be paid a bit less and be less pampered. Compare how much they teach to their peers and you will see! They also dont do all that path breaking research

• Gabe

Dear undergrads, did you know that Yale has an entire Campus (West Campus) in Orange that you will never use or see? Why are argue about building new dorms? Thats chump change to the bottom line.

• poorivy

glad my undergrad ivy never had much of an endowment to begin with. they’re not hurting much at all.

• @#7,8,9

Not if their students can’t use the proper form of “too.”

With the exception of the Law School, Yale College IS Yale. You think your PhD is awesome? What exactly are you going to do with it? Maybe get a tenured professorship in ten years, if you’re lucky? Sure, Yale has some commitment to its graduate/professional schools, but your real mother is Wisconsin State or wherever else you originally came from. Ours is Yale College. Stop pretending you belong here more than we do simply because you’re writing a dissertation and conduct crappy sections twice a week.

And as for you, #8, you’re just as bad. The luxuries of the residential college (and everything else for that matter) are part of the pull about Yale. People are right when they talk about the value of education: It’s not so different here as elsewhere. What sets us apart, then? It’s the environment. Take that away, and we’re really screwed.

• anonymous

I am totally with #12. Thanks for speaking out.

• @15

What’s the matter, didn’t get into Harvard? It’s hard; just deal.

• You are all pathetic

Seriously?! You will now waist your precious time arguing who is or should be more important!? There are people’s jobs at stake here. Get over yourselves. You are all graduating (hopefully) from Yale. Some people are not that fortunate.