Lalli won’t be JE master; new search to begin. In an e-mail Tuesday, music professor Richard Lalli MUS ’86 announced he will not become Jonathan Edwards College’s next master. Lalli, who suffered a brain hemorrhage last December, said he still has not fully recovered and would not be able to handle the rigors of the mastership with his current health. Penelope Laurans, an associate dean of Yale College and special assistant to the president, has been interim JE master since January.

Vandals strike Saybrook, again. “Enough is enough — this has to stop!” Saybrook Master Paul Hudak wrote in an e-mail Tuesday titled “taking back Saybrook.” The message came in response to broken doors, vandalized bathrooms and discharged fire extinguishers over Halloween weekend. Hudak said Custodial Services will begin fining students whose entryways have been damaged.

Paying tribute. Because of the death last week of Saybrook dining hall worker George “Butch” Marro, students will observe a moment of silence today at 1 p.m. in the dining hall. After lunch, those who wish to will be able to share their memories of Marro in the common room at 1:30 p.m.

Mainers voted to ban gay marriage in a referendum Tuesday. A group of Yalies had run a phone bank and traveled to Maine to knock on doors, encouraging supports of gay marriage to vote “No” on Question 1, which asked whether the new law giving same-sex marriage rights should be rejected.

Yale Dems keep up the activism. The health care reform rally at 11:15 a.m. today on Cross Campus will feature Dr. K.J. Lee, a leading health care policy lecturer and adviser to President Barack Obama. The rally is part of a national effort among youth to show that younger generations care about health care reform.

Jeffrey Kinsler LAW ’96, a former editor of the Yale Journal of International Law, has been named the founding dean of Belmont University’s new law school, which is set to open in 2011. Belmont’s will be the first law school to open in Middle Tennessee in over 100 years.

During University President Richard Levin’s visit to India, he will present Nandan Nilekani with the Legend of Leadership Award at the Yale CEO Leadership Summit in New Delhi on Nov. 6. Nikelani is the chairman of India’s Unique Identification Database Authority and is the first Indian to be honored with this award.

This day in Yale history

1980 The United Auto Workers sues Yale over a quote made by Yale Director of Community and State Relations that they consider threatening.