Wikimedia Commons

Incumbent Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) won reelection to the U.S. House of Representatives for her 16th term. 

DeLauro claimed victory at 11 p.m. on Tuesday night after NBC News called the race, marking the end of a campaign in which she faced well-funded Republican opponent Margaret Streicker and Green Party candidate Justin Paglino. DeLauro will once again be representing Connecticut’s 3rd Congressional district, which has had a Democratic representative since 1983. As of 1:25 a.m. on Wednesday, Streicker has yet to concede the election. According to the New York Times, DeLauro leads Streicker with 56.1 percent with 86 percent of precincts reporting as of 2:58 p.m. on Wednesday. 

“It is my honor to accept another term in the United States House of Representatives,” DeLauro said to a small crowd at Shubert Theater in downtown New Haven. “Thank you to the voters in this district for their confidence in me. Tonight we take this country back. Tonight we celebrate, and tomorrow the work begins.”

The 3rd District is located primarily along the Long Island Sound, and includes portions of New Haven, Fairfield and Middlesex counties. DeLauro has held the seat since four-term representative Bruce Morrison retired before the 1990 election.

DeLauro grew up in Wooster Square and her parents both served as alders for the historic Elm City neighborhood. She told the News in October that if reelected, she would look to pass legislation concerning equal wages for women, national paid sick days and paid family and medical leave. She also said one of her focuses would be the child care industry, which she said has become particularly important during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

In the 2018 midterm elections, DeLauro won the seat with 64.6 percent of the vote, according to Ballotpedia. 

Thomas Birmingham | thomas.birmingham@yale.edu

Update, Nov. 4 at 2:58 p.m.: The story has been updated to reflect the latest polling data.

Correction, Nov. 5: An earlier version of this story misspelled Justin Paglino’s name incorrectly. It has been corrected. The News regrets the error.

THOMAS BIRMINGHAM